eight

Wonwoo thought it was a little odd at how excited Mingyu always was to meet up with him, because Wonwoo considered himself as fairly boring, but it was like Mingyu was actually interested and hung on his every word like some sort of trusting puppy, and honestly Wonwoo didn't mind.

The two had agreed to meet up again, at an ice cream bar on the highstreet near their school, and as Wonwoo drew closer to the destination he spotted a familiar tall figure leaning on the wall outside, smiling and waving at him with a huge grin on his face. Wonwoo couldn't help but smile and wave back at Mingyu, speeding up his steps to meet him sooner.

"Hey, you made it," said Mingyu, greeting the shorter boy with an excitable hit to his shoulder and a happy expression.

Wonwoo smiled back in response. "Why would I not?"

"Don't you have better things to do than meet with some kid for ice cream?"

"I wouldn't miss ice cream for the world."

Mingyu laughed at that, and shook his head. "You're almost more childish than me," he pointed out, raising his eyebrows before shooting a fairly awkward wink, "but that's kind of cute."

"Besides," Wonwoo continued, "we've still done literally nothing on the project. I know that Hoseok and Taehyung are already practically finished and we don't even know what we're doing the project on."

"I was hoping we could find something out today," hummed Mingyu, walking to the door as Wonwoo followed, "but first things first, we gotta eat ice cream."

Mingyu held the door open for Wonwoo and the older boy thanked him with a small smile and stepped into the ice cream parlour. It was styled to look like a fifties type diner, with booth seats and high tables and tall red swivel chairs and a large glass fronted display of a huge array of ice cream flavours and toppings.

The waitress at the counter took their orders. Mingyu ordered a large banana split with extra chocolate sauce and chocolate chips and a chocolate milkshake, while Wonwoo picked a considerably less elaborate vanilla sundae with strawberry sauce. Their orders were passed to them and Mingyu picked out a booth table with red faux leather seats and they sat down opposite eachother, arranging their ice creams on the table in front of them.

"This looks so good, oh god," exclaimed Mingyu, poking the straw into his milkshake cup and taking a sip.

Wonwoo chuckled and dipped the spoon into his sundae. "You really like ice cream, huh?"

"Who doesn't?" came the reply from Mingyu, attacking his banana split with his spoon and taking a very full scoop, "when I eat ice cream, it's all or nothing."

"Clearly," laughed Wonwoo, taking another bite of the dessert and letting the cold ice cream melt a little on his tongue.

There was a silence for roughly thirty seconds as the two ate their ice creams in quiet, with the slurp of Mingyu's milkshake straw as the only sound in the booth as well as the backing noise of the other customers in the restaurant.

"Do you come here a lot?" asked Wonwoo.

Mingyu nodded in between mouthfuls. "Yeah, I came here for my tenth birthday and then again for being accepted into high school."

"So, like, twice then?" said Wonwoo, raising his eyebrows, "twice isn't 'a lot'."

"Twice are adorable. You should stan."

"I've known you for, like, a week and I already know you're trash."

Mingyu laughed as Wonwoo simply shook his head and took another bite of ice cream.

"So, about this project, huh?" Mingyu spoke up, "what exactly do we have in common."

Wonwoo knitted his eyebrows together in thought, tapping his spoon on the edge of his ice cream glass. "We both like ice cream."

"But that goes for like, anyone," sighed Mingyu, pouting and wrinkling his nose to dismiss Wonwoo's suggestion, "we should do something really rad and special."

"Nothing much about me is 'rad'," laughed Wonwoo, "so you should get rid of that idea."

Mingyu made a loud 'shh'ing noise and waved his spoon at Wonwoo. "You're rad, trust me."

"Sad but rad," chipped in Wonwoo.

"Why are you sad?" asked Mingyu, his eyes widening in concern, "are you okay? You know, you can talk to me any time you want, I'll always be by your side. You're my friend and you can trust me-"

"Mingyu."

"Yes? Do you need something? Are you okay?"

"It was a joke."

Mingyu let out a sigh and laughed a little awkwardly. "It wasn't a very good joke, to be honest."

"Jokes aren't really my forte."

"That's a shame, really. We could have had 'amazing banter' as the shared interest for our project," Mingyu thought aloud, taking another mouthful of ice cream.

"Well, to be honest, I am kinda sad," sighed Wonwoo.

"What? Are you okay? I thought you were okay, oh God, I should have known you were dying inside or something-"

"Mingyu."

"What?"

"I'm sad because my ice cream is almost gone, you spoon."

There was silence for a few seconds before the two cracked up in laughter, the most Wonwoo had laughed in God knew how long, so much that his sides hurt as the laughter died down and he could barely breathe.

"Same," said Mingyu after a while, adding a dejected sigh onto the end of his sentence.

Wonwoo pushed his now empty glass to the center of the table, neatly laying the spoon by the side and stood up.

"Well, once again, we've made absolutely no progress on the project, as usual," declared Mingyu, standing up with Wonwoo and laying his bowl and spoon next to his.

"But we had fun, and that was the main thing," added Wonwoo, smiling.

Mingyu laughed. "Jesus, you sound like that one patronising teacher when your team comes last on sports day."

"Seriously, though," said Wonwoo, after laughing along, "we need to actually find something."

"I guess," shrugged Mingyu, before shooting Wonwoo a grin. "But it's a lot more fun just hanging out like this."

Wonwoo honestly had to agree with that.

"By the way, since we're friends now, you need to fulfil your promise and teach me space shit," said Mingyu.

"And you need to teach me plant shit," Wonwoo replied, smiling up at the taller boy next to him as they left the restaurant and stood outside to finish their conversations and say goodbyes.

"I'll make sure I do," Mingyu said, giving Wonwoo a fairly cringe worthy thumbs up.

"Oh," said Wonwoo, before turning back the other way to walk home, "you said I was your friend."

Mingyu seemed to panic a little at that. "Why, was that wrong of me?"

Wonwoo laughed and shook his head. "No, not at all."

"So, we're officially friends now?" Mingyu checked.

"It's official," came the reply.

Mingyu's smile at that was so bright Wonwoo was sure that he resembled one of the stars he looked at through his telescope every night.

"Anyway," said Wonwoo, "I should be going. My mum wants me to take care of my half brother."

"Right," Mingyu said, waving at Wonwoo as he turned to leave, "I'll see you soon."

As Wonwoo walked away to leave for home, he felt himself filled with a warmth that fluttered around in his chest that he had never felt so much before. He made the whole journey home with a smile on his face that had been put there by Kim Mingyu and Wonwoo found himself extremely glad that he had such a great person to add to his list of friends.