five

After venturing my way through the crowds of people I come to the front door that is already wide open. I ignore the few whistles from behind me and roll my eyes, wrapping my arms around myself in attempt to warm myself. The cool wind feels good in my lungs as I inhale the fresh air. I can’t stand the smell of smoke. I don’t understand how people can intake something so life threatening.

I begin to wonder if Harry smokes…no, Jess. Stop thinking about the damn boy. I don’t even know him, I’ve spoken to him only a couple of times and those times he has been rude to me. Although there’s a part of me that thinks maybe he enjoys our little squabbles. Is the sparkle behind his dark eyes a part of my imagination?

The familiar rough voice speaks from behind me as I look out into the quiet road and shiver again.

"I wondered where you’d gotten to."

I turn to meet Harry, his lips drawn into a tight line as he looks down at me. My short height is nothing compared to his tall build.

"Why?"

"You disappeared?" He shoots back ignorantly, shoving his hands into his pockets.

"I mean why did you come looking for me?"

"People like you shouldn’t be wandering alone in places like these."

"People like me?" I query and raise my eyebrows at him.

"Yes. Pretty girls like you wearing dresses like that."

"What’s that supposed to mean?" I ask, pressing my lips together to stop myself smiling at his first compliment.

"It means, there are plenty of perverts that would happily take advantage of you,” he mutters in disgust. "Let’s get back inside, it’s freezing."

The smile stuck to my lips is almost embarrassing as I follow Harry back through the house. I receive a few confused glances and can’t help but feel people are whispering as I trail after Harry. Probably because Harry being seen with someone like me is unusual. The more I think about Harry, the more I want to find out. When did he get the tattoos? Are there more covered up by his clothing? I can guess the answer to that.

When we get back to the others, Rachel has taken Becka’s position next to Liam and the two are laughing loudly and it looks like Rachel’s cup has been filled. Perrie is still on Zayn’s lap, lips interlocked.

"Is everything okay?" Rachel asks when I push behind a boy in front of me to reach the group.

"Everything’s great, where’s Emily?"

"I think she went into the kitchen with Louis," Liam answers me. "Are you sure you don’t want a drink?"

"Um, no. I don’t drink."

"Just one? Half a cup, even," he pushes, a friendly grin bound to his lips.

"Fuck it," I mutter with a smile, taking Rachel’s hand as she outstretches it for me to take. “Are you having a good time?” I ask.

“Yeah, Liam’s so lovely,” she says with a smile as we make our way towards the kitchen. “Were you outside with Harry?” The sudden stumble and giggle that slips from Rachel’s lips tell me she’s slightly tipsy.

“He came to find me.”

“Why?”

“He wanted to make sure I was okay,” I mumble, hoping that will be the end of the conversation. Unfortunately I am mistaken.

“I told you he likes you!” Rachel exclaims. “Did he say anything else?”

“Not really.”