nine

Once we arrive at the party Louis finds us immediately, slinging an arm around Emily's shoulder and grinning into her hair as we walk through the house and into the living area Niall seems to be at ease in the atmosphere and places his hand on the small of my back as we are led to the circle of sofas where Becka, Harry and a few others sit. I can't help but feel a strong disliking to Becka. She seems nice but I cannot get the picture of her kissing Harry out of my head. Harry's probably kissed and slept with plenty of girls and the thought stirs jealous butterflies in my stomach.

"Hey Jess," Becka chirps happily as I take a seat on the empty sofa next to her, grabbing Niall's hands and pull him down next to me. "Who's your friend?"

I can't help but notice Harry's jaw tightening at Becka's choice of words and once again his eyes remain on me.

"Niall," I say with a smile as Niall reaches his hand out for Becka to shake.

"Are you drinking tonight?" Niall asks me, his lips at my ear as his arm slides behind the back of the sofa behind me.

"No, I don't really fancy being hungover tomorrow."

"We're back to sensible Jess?" Niall mocks with a teasing grin.

"Afraid so," I mutter with a laugh.

"Shame, I preferred the other Jess better."

"Shut up," I grin, my smile faltering as I notice Harry leaning in over his knees in an attempt to get closer to me.

"Jess can we talk?" He asks, his voice unusually soft as his dark eyes peer up to mine hopefully.

"There is nothing to talk about," I say simply.

"Please," he breathes, his cross necklace swinging against his tattooed chest beneath his black t-shirt. Stop, Jess.

"Go on then. Talk."

"Somewhere a little more private?" He asks and draws his lower lip with his teeth. "Please?"

"Fine," I huff. If it weren't for his soft tone I wouldn't even think about speaking to him. "Let's go."

"Jess..." Niall mumbles under his breath, a concerned expression painted to his features as I stand up from my seat.

"It's fine, Ni. Try not to get too drunk while I'm gone," I say with a weak smile, flicking him in the forehead playfully before following Harry across the room.

"Where are we going?" I yell over the music and Harry turns his head enough for me to hear.

"My room," he says boldly as I scurry after him up the stairs.

"I, um-"

"Jesus, Jess. I just want to talk."

"I'm not talking to you at all if you speak to me like that," I warn and his hard expression softens slightly.

"Sorry," he mutters in almost a whisper and turns the handle into his room. I've never been into his room before, and what I see surprises me. I was expecting dark walls with heavy metal band posters stuck to each but the walls are painted a fresh white and there are no posters to be seen. The floor length curtains are drawn and the navy duvet is piled at the end of the bed, a handful of clothes sprawled across the carpet. In the corner sits a long shelf stacked high with CDs.

Perhaps I should stop being so stereotypical.

"So, um, what did you want to talk about?" I say in a hushed tone, looking to the floor as Harry's eyes remain on me.

"I think you know what I want to talk about."

I remain silent, seeing where he will take the conversation.