2* Yule Ball

Malfoy, dressed in black dress robes, escorted Pansy Parkinson to the ball. They arrived fairly early. Pansy had been in favour of showing up late, skipping the opening dance from the champions, but Malfoy insisted they arrive on time. He planned to leave alone early on anyway. There were better things he could be doing while everyone was distracted with the dance.

Just before the official start time of the dances, Hermione Granger entered. Those near enough to the stairs leading toward the great hall stopped to catch their breath. She had never looked so stunning. Even Malfoy had to admit it. She was smiling sheepishly, and he couldn't help but think she was trying to avoid covering her face with her hands. She blushed a light pink, and walked gracefully to her date, Viktor Krum. Malfoy had never felt that jealousy before. He doesn't even know her! He thought. He just waltzes in here after I've known her for four years and he gets to dance with her? He fumed.

"Disgusting isn't it?" Pansy said, misplacing Malfoy's disgust. "How could a professional quidditch player bear to be seen with that bookish mudblood?"

Malfoy sneered at her. "No idea." He lied. "Let's just get some punch."

After the opening dances were over, Malfoy and Pansy sat at a table, watching the other party-goers dance the night away. Pansy looked positively dejected, wishing to dance, but afraid to interrupt Malfoy's dark mood.

Malfoy glowered at Krum, spinning Granger around like a beautiful china doll. He stood up abruptly when Krum pulled her close after a twirl. Pansy gave him a startled, questioning look. "Bathroom." He muttered. He strode out of the banquette, without any intentions of returning. He stopped Goyle as he made his way out past the buffet table. "Goyle, go over there and ask Pansy to dance."

Goyle swallowed the mouthful. "Why?"

Malfoy rolled his eyes. "Because she's bored, and I'm not feeling well." Goyle stood still, trying to comprehend him. "Go!" Malfoy yelled. Goyle shuffled away awkwardly towards Pansy at the empty table.

Malfoy walked just under the steps of the great hall. He leaned back against the wall and sighed slowly. He shouldn't get this upset. Hadn't he decided last year to put these feelings to rest? He had tried all of third year to let Granger know just how much he hated her, while convincing himself it was true. But after that punch she threw, he knew it would be more difficult than just some nasty words hurled at her.

Later, he heard crying. He peeked around the steps and saw a few girls sitting together, comforting each other. It surprised him to find that one of them was Granger. She wiped her cheeks, heels in hand, and headed towards the top of the stairs. Malfoy ran around a different route and met her at the top of the stairs, just out of sight.

He froze when he saw her. Black mascara was running down her face, only part of her lips held the rosey red of lipstick, and her hair was already coming loose. But still, she looked amazing, more pretty than anyone Malfoy had ever laid eyes upon.

She cocked her head. "Oh you here to pick on me too?" She grinned sarcastically. "Well you're late to the party now aren't you? Excuse me." She shoved passed him.

"Hermione..." Malfoy swiveled around to look at her. He realized he had never called her by her first name.

Hermione looked at him, wondering what he could possibly want. "What is it?"

He saw her mistrust. He saw her suspicion and her fear. "Would you like to dance with me?"