17* Malfoy Manor

One year later...

When I heard the footsteps, I stepped behind Crabbe and Goyle. There was more than just one person in here.

When Potter stepped into view, I knew I was right. She was here. Somewhere. It had been months since he had seen her last...

Lucius Malfoy shoved his son towards the prisoners. "Is it Harry Potter?" He asked.

Draco couldn't believe that this was how he was to face her again. He knew as soon as they had been dragged in who that head of bushy brown hair belonged too. He tried to avoid her gaze, and keep her from looking at him, although she couldn't remember how they had spent so much time together before the war.

"I can't -- I can't be sure," said Draco. As soon as he was able, he tried to shrink back towards his mother near the fireplace, away from the girl he loved.

Then his mother asked him "Look, Draco, isn't it the Granger girl?"

His heart hit the floor. He felt an intense need to vomit. "I... maybe... yeah." There was no lie that would cover up for his inability to recognize the trio.

"But then, that's the Weasley boy!" his father shouted, striding around the bound prisoners to face Ron. "It's them, Potter's friends—Draco, look at him, isn't it Arthur Weasley's son, what's his name—?"

"Yeah," said Draco reluctantly, his back to the prisoners. "It could be." He squeezed his eyes shut to keep the tears from falling. He couldn't bare to look at Granger any longer. His head was spinning. His breath came short and shallow. He was even happy when his aunt Bellatrix paraded into the room, drawing the attention to herself as always. Draco didn't listen to the ensuing argument, but cringed when she sent stunning spells around the room, and causing the men to fall to the ground.

"Draco, move this scum outside," said Bellatrix, indicating some unconscious men. "If you haven't got the guts to finish them, then leave them in the courtyard for me."

Draco heard his mother begin to argue, but he knew better than to think his mother would win. He slowly made his way to one of the fallen men. Grabbing him under the arms, he began dragging him towards the door.

"Take these prisoners down to the cellar, Greyback." His mother ordered.

"Wait," said Bellatrix sharply. Draco paused for a fraction of a second. "All except.... except for the Mudblood." He held his breath. His father shot him a look that said 'What are you waiting for?'

Greyback gave a grunt of pleasure.

"No!" Draco glanced towards the gangly redhead. "You can have me, keep me!" Draco wished he could be the one fighting bonds in order to protect her. At the same time, he was so relieved to see that Ginny had been right. There were others besides himself that loved her.

Bellatrix hit him across the face: the blow echoed around the room. "If she dies under questioning, I'll take you next," she said. "Blood traitor is next to Mudblood in my book. Take them downstairs, Greyback, and make sure they are secure, but do nothing more to them—yet." Draco looked down at the man he was dragging and started moving more quickly. He couldn't allow his father to become suspicious.

In the courtyard, Draco dropped the limp body without concern for the man. His aunt would kill him soon anyway. He rushed back inside to grab the next one. He had to be careful if he wanted to protect Granger from his aunt. His mind was whirling with ideas as he dragged the bodies out to the yard. He could try to surprise his aunt and stupify her. But she was a much better witch than he was, he had seen that tonight as she stupified the men who brought the trio in. He could volunteer to torture her himself and request privacy... But that was much too obvious. He was also still afraid to cut ties with his family. At this point, it was unrealistic for him to be trusted, even if he switched allegiances. He had finally decided that his best chance was to release Potter and Weasley in hopes that they could think of something. He had to make it look like an accident though.