15* I'm So Sorry

When Amycus finally left, Malfoy sighed deeply. He was mentally exhausted by all of the new information he had received, and emotionally drained. He felt the magic energy fade as the cabinet transported Amycus back to Borgin and Burkes. He turned from the cabinet, feeling nauseous. He immediately raised his wand when he saw movement.

Granger ripped off the invisibility cloak. Malfoy couldn't breath.

"Draco..." She said. She was crying, tears dripping off her cheeks. "Draco, you don't have to do this." She was shaking, the cloak in her fist trembling.

Malfoy didn't lower his wand. Tears welled up in his eyes. "You should not have followed me here."

"We can talk to Dumbledore!" She exclaimed. "He can help you out of this. He'll know what to do."

"I'm so sorry." Malfoy whispered. The tears started falling. Slow at first, but getting faster every second. He bit his lip.

"Draco!" Granger sobbed. "Draco, please!" Her face contorted with grief.

Malfoy shook everywhere but his wand arm. "I love you, Hermione Granger."

Granger sniffed. "Draco..."

"Obliviate..." Malfoy whispered. The spell made Granger dazed on impact. Malfoy threw the invisibility cloak over her head and shoved her out of the room into the empty corridor. He knew the cloak would keep her safe from Filch and the other prefects. She would wander back up to her dormitory, just like Dean Thomas had when he found them behind the tapestry.

Malfoy leaned back against the closed door, tears streaming down his face. He closed his eyes, seeing Granger in her Yule Ball dress, seeing her blush in Madame Puddifoot's, watching her eyes glisten in the moonlight by the lake. He slid down the wall and grabbed his knees, putting his face down as he wept. He remembered the scent of her perfume, the taste of her lips after peppermint hot chocolate, the high pitched anger in her voice when she got frustrated, the sigh she would give when she was worried about something. He put both hands on his head, trying to keep the painful memories away. The fact that they were now only his memories hurt worse than letting her go had. He thought about her for hours, committing every aspect of her to his memory. He had to preserve their memories, since no one else would be able to. His chest ached and the tears stopped before the sobs ended. He felt spent, but the pain hadn't lessened.