12* Restricted Section

Professor Flitwick dismissed the class, and Draco packed up his books in a daze when elbowed by Crabbe to do so. That night was one of his most precious memories with Hermione. He walked through the corridors, numb to his surroundings. There were only two things that mattered to him now; fixing the cabinet and therefore earning the respect of his parents, and Hermione. He knew he had Hermione's love and loyalty. Even when his jealousy flared, his heart knew that her affection belonged to him. The cabinet on the other hand was not going as planned. The bird he'd sent last night returned dead. What he didn't know was why. He was sure he had fixed the teleportation spell last week.

While trudging through the corridor, he felt something hard knock against his shoulder.

"Watch it!" He said shoving the shoulder of a redhead. He saw that it was Ron Weasley who had run past him. "Stupid blood traitor." He spat out of habit.

Ron didn't even glance at him. He shoved past a group of girls whispering excitedly. Draco shook his head and looked in the direction Ron had come from. A few feet away, Lavender Brown was trotting through the crowd, following him.

"Won-won!" She shrilled, waving her heavily braceleted arm.

Draco shook his head, snickering. "The Weasel King has done it again." He said to Goyle. I can't believe Hermione was jealous of those two. He thought. But what I wouldn't give to show her off as mine.

That evening Draco packed his work in his bag, and headed to the library to work in peace. Zabini had dared Crabbe to out-eat Goyle, causing bets to be placed all around the common room. The clapping cursing and chewing had bothered him so much he sought another place to study. He showed Madame Pince his note from Professor Snape, giving him full, unsupervised access to the restricted section. She hushed him, which was her way of allowing him to pass. He bypassed the shelves and looked for the furthest table. A bushy head of brown curls brought a smile to his lips. He crept up to the table and leaned on the table, one hand on the tabletop, the other on his hip. "Come here often?" He asked with a smirk.

Hermione gasped, then laughed with relief. "Oh Draco, it's you." She rested her chin on her hand. "And to answer your question, only when Madame Pince has a bad day and hushes the empty tables. It's rather distracting."

He sat down opposite her and placed his bag on the closest seat. "I thoroughly agree." He said while laying out his parchment and textbooks. "Who gave you permission to be here?"

"Dumbledore." She said. Draco cringed inwardly at the name, reminded of his vow. "I asked him because of what's been going on with Voldemort. We have to find and destroy the horcruxes you know. And I'll wager that soon, we will be up against some very dark magic. Better to learn about it before it happens." She shrugged and looked back down at her textbook.

Draco knew she was fishing for information from him. But there was nothing he could say. There was no longer any chance for him to switch sides in this war. He had made his vow, and received his Dark Mark that summer, in his own home. For him, there was no going back. His choice was made. Whether or not he was the one who made it, he was still unsure. He said the words, performed the ritual. But was he given a choice? What would saying no have meant?

He looked down at his own potions textbook, looking at a list of ingredients. He was to discuss the possibilities of substituting the rare ingredients with items more easily obtained, and identify the possible side-effects those substitutions might cause.

Hours later, he realized there was work to be done on the cabinet. He packed his books and kissed Hermione's forehead. "Goodnight." He whispered into her hair.

"Goodnight." She smiled drowsily up at him. She'd been there even longer than he had been.

Draco stopped halfway to the exit, when a book on an empty table lay open. Curious, he leaned over it; Repairing a Curse it said. Draco skimmed the page, finding the answer he needed.

He knew how to fix the vanishing cabinet.