6* Hogsmeade

"So if you added a lizard's tail, it would change the effect but only by this much..." Hermione said, pointing to a paragraph in a borrowed library book. It was early in their fifth year and Hermione had decided they would exclusively prepare for their O.W.L.'s although there were months until then.

Draco nodded. "Say... Do you plan on going to Hogsmeade this weekend?" he asked.

She blinked, taken aback by his sudden change of subject. "I suppose... I usually go with Ron and Harry every weekend." She looked away, pretending to notice something in the book. "Why do you ask?"

Draco leaned back on his chair, resting his head on his hands in a carefree way. "Well I was just thinking we could do something. Maybe check out Madam Puddifoot's Tea Shop or something. She makes a mean cup of cocoa." He watched her blush out of the corner of his eye.

"Well..." She played with her hair, trying to hide her red cheeks. "Maybe. Should I bring some study notes to go over? Just to get a change of setting, right?" She began to talk faster. "Yes, to get a change of setting. That's a great idea. Always studying in one place isn't very helpful. Moving around will make the information stick better, isn't that right?"

"Hermione." Draco said casually. She finally looked up and made eye contact with him. "You know I don't study on weekends." She pursed her lips. "Now, do you wanna get tea with me on Saturday or not?"

She nodded shyly. "That would be nice." She admitted.

Draco smiled. "It's a date then!" He chuckled at her when she covered her face with her hands.

"Come on, let me see." He boldly took her hands and lowered them. Her face was lit up with the brightest smile he had ever seen on a girl before. He promised to do whatever he could to preserve that smile.

They made plans to meet at the tea shop, and leave separately, in order that they not be noticed together. Draco couldn't believe he had succeeded in getting that blushing, smiling face out of Hermione Granger.

On Saturday, Draco spent more time choosing his outfit. Tired of his usual black attire, he searched his trunk for anything colored. Eventually, he settled for a pair of black jeans, an untucked navy blue button up shirt, and a black windbreaker to keep the fall chill off. He turned down Zabini's offer to take him to the Hog's Head Inn, and ignored Pansy when she asked him to take her to the sweets shop. He made his way to Hogsmeade by apparating to the edge of the town furthest from hogwarts, but closer to the tea shop. He was relieved to see that it was not crowded. He found the most hidden table, near the back corner, and waited, facing the door and the front window of the shop.

Hermione arrived with her hair blown over her face by the wind. She had put some pins in it, but they had come loose and gotten tangled in her curly brown hair. She was wearing light wash jeans, and a loose fitting, yellow long sleeve t-shirt, and her blue purse was wrapped over her shoulder. She looked around the shop twice before spotting Draco near the back. She smiled and went to his booth.

"Hello." She said. She sat down across from him, trying to smooth out her hair. "Sorry I'm late. I got stopped by some friends and had to think of a way to get past them." She angrily ripped the pins out of her hair and stuffed them in her pocket.

"It's fine." He said. "I knew you wouldn't break a promise."

She smiled. They were interrupted by Madame Puddifoot arriving by their table and asking what they would like to drink. She wore a pink dress, and a white apron with large pockets. Out of one she pulled a notepad and quill.

"Coffee with cream." Draco said.

"Could I get a hot chocolate actually?" Hermione said rubbing her hands together to warm them.

Madame Puddifoot scribbled this down on her notepad. "Would you like a peppermint stick as well?"

"Yes please." Hermione said.

She tucked the notepad back into her apron pocket and darted behind the counter to prepare the drinks. Hermione blew warm air into her hands.

"Sorry." She said to Draco. "I should have dressed warmer. I was in a hurry."

"I don't mind, as long as you let me help." He reached forward and took her hands in his.

"Draco--" She stopped. His hands were warm. "Only for a moment then." She said softly.

He smiled. "You know..." He thought out loud. "Sometimes the muggle way to do things isn't so bad."

"Most of the time, I prefer to use magic anyway." Hermione said. "Things like dentistry become so much easier and less painful!" She sighed. "If only--"

"Here you are, lovebirds." Madame Puddifoot cooed as she placed their mugs down. Hermione was secretly pleased at how girly her hot chocolate and peppermint stick looked compared to Draco's plain coffee.

"Oh..." Hermione pulled her hands free. "We aren't..." She wrapped her cold fingers around the mug.

Madame Puddifoot shushed her. "Oh don't be like that. This boy obviously adores you. Give him a chance at least, eh?" She winked at Draco. "He's a cutie too. Enjoy." She danced away to the other tables.

"What do you mean we aren't?" Draco asked.