3* One Dance

She blinked. "Oh. Right. I see." She turned in a dramatic circle, arms spread wide, her heels floating by the straps they hung on. "You'll dance with the mudblood just to spit on her dress and to show her just how filthy she is." She glared at him. "I know you, Draco." She sneered his name. Even so, he had never enjoyed hearing it more. "I won't fall for your tricks."

"It's not a trick this time." Draco stepped closer, holding out a hand. "I really do wish to dance with you."

"Don't lie to my face. I saw you glaring at me while I was with Krum. You and Ron both!" She exhaled. "I don't know what I've done now to upset you both but I don't care, I'm going to bed." She turned to make her way to her common room.

"Hermione," Draco said her name again. It tasted like honey on his lips. "If you go any further, we won't be able to hear the music." He was still holding out his hand. She glanced at it warily.

"One dance, and you'll let me go to bed?" She questioned.

"I promise."

"And how do I know you'll keep your promise?" She stepped closer to him.

Draco smiled. "I give you my word on my family's name."

Hermione laughed. "The word of a pureblood family name given to a mudblood."

"Muggle-born." Draco corrected her.

She smiled and took his hand. She dropped her heels and he pulled her closer, swaying gently with the music.

"You're unexpectedly good at this." She commented.

"What else did you expect from the son of a pureblood family?" He smiled, glad that she could notice his skill.

"I don't really know." She admitted. "But I never thought you would ask me to dance like this. This whole night is surreal. Don't you think they've done a fabulous job with the great hall?"

Draco nodded. "It's very pretty." He wanted to add something, but all he could think of was cheesy and cliche lines.

"How exactly do they do it?" She asked in wonder.

"House elves I expect." He said nonchalantly. "They do the brunt of the kitchen work and chores here, so I assume they would be the ones working on something like this."

Hermione gasped. "I always thought Filch did those!"

Draco laughed. "You thought that squib could do everything in this giant castle? No of course there are magical creatures running around tidying up."

"I had no idea." Hermione whispered. She was suddenly quiet. They had now danced well out of earshot of the grand staircase, and were swaying to their own silent rhythm.

"Hermione... Do you hate me?" Draco found himself asking.

Hermione's eyes leapt to meet his. "What? No I could never -- I mean hate is a strong word, I wouldn't --"

"Just be honest." He said, with a cutting bite he hadn't meant to imply.

Hermione pursed her lips. "Well answer me this; do you hate me? You've tormented me and my friends since we first got on the train. What am I supposed to think?"

Draco's face softened. He gently moved a stray strand of her frizzing hair out of her face. "I could never hate you." He said. "In fact, I think I..."

Footsteps could be heard making their way up to where the two were standing. "Let's get out of here." Draco took up Hermione's heels and they ran to an empty classroom. He handed her the shoes.

"Thanks." She breathed. "So?" She looked at him expectantly. "Go on."

Draco smiled. "Why should I? It's your turn."

She blushed and turned away. "Well... it's rather... complicated."

"Go on." He echoed.

"I suppose... Well I guess I... I'm not entirely sure how I feel anymore." She looked around the classroom, at the desks, the walls, anywhere but at Draco. "I think I did hate you, for a while. Last year. But sometimes I didn't. Sometimes I..." She trailed off. "Sometimes, maybe I was imagining it, but I thought... I thought you maybe were staring at me. It seemed like it. And when I could catch it, I didn't hate it. I thought maybe someday, we could talk like normal people, rather than enemies." She paused, giving a nervous laugh and glancing at him. "I guess today is someday."

Draco relaxed. He realized he quite possibly had a chance. "Granger? How confident are you with potions?"

She raised an eyebrow at him.

"Would you mind meeting with me for tutoring? I feel hopeless in that class."

She huffed and put her hands on her hips. "Is that what all this is about? Because let me tell you, Malfoy, I won't do your homework for you, no matter how many pretty things you say."

Draco rolled his eyes. "No, that's not the point." He took her hand. "I simply wanted an excuse to meet with you in the future. To talk to you more."

She narrowed her eyes, still suspicious. "Wouldn't your parents be furious?" She asked.

"That's why it would have to be a secret. I know that it's selfish for me to want to talk to you without my parents, therefore, without anyone finding out..." He looked her in the eyes. "But I figured I ought to at least try, and not fail without any effort."

Hermione smiled. "Then yes. I will tutor you. And we will keep it a secret." She laughed. "I have no idea what I 'd say to Harry and Ron about this anyway."