Chapter 5 (The Celebration)

- Chapter Five -

T H E   C E L E B R A T I O N

I lose realism for a moment and get lost in something strange, something new, something unusual. I keep staring until I’m not sure I can even make sense of what I’m looking at anymore. I was taken by surprise. I blink a number of times until I get back to reality.

“Hi.” He smiles. He’s standing to help people get on the boat, but I was so desperate that I didn’t even see him, until now.

“Hi.” I smile too. Does he even know my name? I ask myself. Of course he does! I’m the Leader’s daughter! “Sorry for being late.”

“No, no, it’s okay!” He pulls me into the boat. “Have a seat.”

“Thank you.” I say and then remember that I’m still holding on to his hand. I let go of it and smile nervously.

I’ve never behaved that ridiculously like all girls do when they see a cute guy. And I’d thought that’s because I’m strong and different and stable blah blah blah. I just didn’t know that the right guy to make me behave like that hadn’t come yet. Until now.

I take a seat on the opposite side of his, and get a better view of him. He is too tall; I guess he’s taller than Hakan, and even Akando. He’s wearing a pair of plain beige pants. Shirtless. Muscular. His hair is neatly cropped that it’s too short for me to be able to figure out its type. There’s a sign on his right arm. It’s a scar. Akando has the same one, and when I asked him what was that, he told me that it shows he’s a warrior. They all get this scar before starting training. There’s a small piece of fabric wrapped around his left arm – nothing of importance, just his style. His honey-color eyes are fixed at a point in the horizon, behind me. I tuck a block of hair behind my ear and look away.

“Lenno?” A little boy comes to him, “The cannibals are bad people, aren’t they?”

“Yes, Nuka.” He rubs the boy’s arm with a sad smile on his face.

“So why do we have to do what they want?”

Lenno looks at Nuka – his eyes full of surprise, “These rules were put long time ago, and we can’t change them.”

“Why not?” Nuka looks confused. “Our tribe is bigger than theirs!”

Wait a minute! The morning speech!! I totally forgot about it. Father must be really angry with me right now. Discussing the dream with Akando had made me lose track of time. I didn’t even talk to my students this morning about the Celebration, as I should have. I just hope other girls did, or I’ll be in real trouble.

“It’s a long story, Nuka. You’ll know everything in time; when you’re older.” I listen to Lenno’s conversation with Nuka again.

“I am already old. I’m eight!” Nuka entreats, “Tell me now.”

“I’m not good at that.” Lenno exhales then chuckles, as if talking to himself. For some reason he looks at me, and I don’t know what to do. I just smile.

“Brother!” Nuka calls Lenno.

“Yup?”

“Answer my question.”

“Can we do this at home? We almost arrived to the Cannibals Land.”

“Okay.” Nuka finally gives up.

“Nukaa!” A little girl calls.

“Look who’s calling for you,” Lenno points at the little girl and gently pushes Nuka in her direction, “go have some fun.”