Chapter 31 (I love you)

Part Three

The Leader

- Chapter Thirty-one -

**AKANDO'S POV**

I love you

(Flashback)

Pain.

Pain is all I feel, and at this time it’s all I know. It’s everything.

I’m limping and I have to run. My arm is bleeding and I have to run. I, more than anything, want to lay down and breathe but I have to run.

And I’m running.

Running as if, miraculously, I’ll grow wings and fly if I go faster. And I do go faster and faster, and the pain is pulling me backwards but I don’t stop.

But she stops.

Abruptly.

Lenmana lets go of my hand and falls to her feet. She gives up. I turn to her instantly and I want to carry her and fly, but I can barely stand straight. “Get up, Lenmana!” I say, and guilt is eating me up from inside, grating my inner walls, I should help her go on. But I’m too weak to do it. “What’s wrong with you?” I shake her desperately; please don’t give up, please. “Don’t give up, Lenmana,” it’s been long since I’ve tasted tears, they’re salty–surprisingly not bitter like the times that cause them to fall. “Please, please, please. Get up, I won’t go home without you, Len.”

Suddenly I’m a bunch of emotions that have escaped a cage I’ve been building my entire life. Should I tell her? Should I say it?

But does questioning matter when the words are already flying out of my mouth?

“I love you so much. I love you so so much, Lenmana.” I say it. The situation decides for me and there’s no way to take the words back. After a lifetime of keeping that love a secret, I just get it all out, like the words have been waiting on the tip of my tongue all along.

***

**LENNO’S POV**

Back

Sometimes the sun just shines brighter than usual.

Or sometimes you’re just too happy; happiness is enough to make you glow and make the entire world flood with light. And I? I’ve never been happier!

“We made it, Catori.” I whisper.

“YES CAN YOU JUST BELIEVE IT?” she squeals and jumps and does so many things too fast I can’t make them out.

I laugh. “Okay,” I inhale, “ready?”

She calms down suddenly, “I’m scared actually.”

“Thought so.”

“Do you think they’ll accept me?”

“I’ll always be there supporting you, no matter what.”