Chapter 27 (What?)

- Chapter twenty-seven -

**LENMANA'S POV**

What?

My feet touch the ground.

I go dizzy for a moment, and wonder if this is a dream; I look at Akando for reassurance and he nods at me. I keep hoping I don't faint. We're across the river, but not in their town, or even near.

"Now what?" asks Nara.

"We'll walk," Akando answers without looking anywhere but in front of him.

He and Ahiga carry the bags of food and other essentials, and the five of us walk-totally uncertain of our fate.

***

Night comes too quickly and I appreciate the few hours of rest we're to get.

"We can't walk in this darkness," Ahiga stops.

"Yeah, we'll camp here till the morning," Akando agrees.

"May I say 'yaaay'?" Tula nearly jumps. "Ouch!" I said nearly. "My legs are dying here," she frowns childishly.

"I could see that," I laugh.

"Feel that," Nara corrects me, and she laughs alone with Tula. And I'm supposed to laugh. Supposed to.

"Time for dinner," Tula suggests.

"Yes, please!" Ahiga just comes to life now.

Tula kneels on the ground and searches through the bag, Ahiga takes the same position and puts an arm around her shoulders, "let me do that," he whispers to her, "you go rest." I look at them and my eyes get teary. When will I have my own life like that? Tula hugs him tight and does like he said.

"Look who's got meaaat!" Ahiga says enthusiastically and my smile goes even wider, "set up a campfire, Akando."

"Okay," says Akando, maybe having the same thoughts as mine-as he looks distant.

He walks a few meters away looking for wood, and Nara follows him. She asks him something and he shakes his head. Tula comes near me, "what is it?"

"Oh, what?" I try to smile.

"Something's bothering you," she says.

"No, I'm just a little tired."

"Come on Lenmana," she rolls her eyes, "I've raised you up!"

"You're just four years older!" I exclaim.

"Whatever," she rolls her eyes, again, "I still know you well."

"It's nothing really," I wave my hand then look at Akando and Nara. "I'm just afraid I lost Akando, and Nara has really took him from me."

"No you silly!" she almost screams. "He's still your best friend and he'll always be, but like you found your future husband, maybe he found his future wife too. Does that change anything about your friendship?"

"I don't know," I sigh. "I thought not, but what I see," I point at them from a distance, "he obviously chose her over me!"

She starts saying something when they come back interrupting our speech, "why do you guys look so sad?" Nara looks at both of us questioningly.

"We're fine," Tula smiles at her, and shoots me a side glance before going back to her husband.

"Where are we gonna sleep?" I ask.

"Under the night sky," Akando laughs at me.

"Seriously?" I ask with my eyes wide.

"Yes, my lady," he laughs again, harder.