Chapter 29 (Closer)

- Chapter Twenty-nine -

**LENNO'S POV**

Closer

We’re finally out of the tunnel, far into the woods, and we must reach the mountains by the next morning. The sun is too bright I can’t help but squint at its blinding light. We had spent the night lying under some tree. Catori had talked a lot; telling me about life in her tribe–former tribe. The closer I become to her, the more I respect her, and the more and more I hate the cannibals.

I think it is kind of funny that the two leaders’ daughters I know don’t have easy lives–unlike what I’d expected them to have. I actually think she’s similar to Lenmana in some ways, and black-and-white different in other ways. I wonder if we get back, would they become friends?

We’re walking/hiding in the shadows–wholly exposed and uncovered, and it’s scary. Also being aware of the fact that we’re running out of food surges the coldness in our guts to spread into our limbs. Death is surrounding us from more sides than life is.

“Are you tired?” I ask her.

“A little,” she smiles sheepishly.

“Okay, we can rest for a while.”

“Sounds good!”

***

“Do you miss her?” she suddenly asks.

“Who?” Lenmana.

“Your girl,” she laughs and looks downwards, “Lenmana.”

I smile and don’t know how to reply, or what to reply. I miss her so much, of course I do. But it’s a bit strange sharing your feelings with someone–especially who’s not close.

Should I count Catori close?

But wait! “How did you know we’re together?”

“No one would risk their live that way unless they deeply care for someone.”

“Good point.”

“So,” she repeats, “do you miss her?”

I look at her, and then away and a smile betrays me.

“Of course you do.” she smiles.

***

The night comes quickly and we’ve made a great job, we can even reach the mountains in a few hours. I’ve known more about Catori, and step by step I’ve let her in too. I learned she never had friends before, and according to what she’s said–I’m her first friend ever.

If I was in any normal situation or under any normal circumstances, I would have thought that was pretty fast, but this experience has taught me that time does not count, deeds do, situations do, what others do for you and what you need are the things that really count. And Catori and I need each other more than we think we do.

“I’m sure you’re excited to see your new leader,” she winks at me.

“What?” I ask in bewilderment. “What new leader?”

“Oh,” she’s taken aback–looking like she’s shrank in size, “I forgot you haven’t heard of the news.”

“What news?” patience has packed up and left my chest tightening and my head expanding from heat and expectations. “Just talk!”

“The Eyotes’ Leader died.” I stop breathing. “And Lenmana is the new leader.” Maybe my heart has stopped beating as well.

The girl I love is the Leader.

I wasn’t by her side when her father died, and she had to face Orenda and the rest of the tribe all by her own. I wonder what she’s gone through, I wonder what happened with her–or to her. My hopes are that Akando has been there for her all along, encircling her with strength and protection. And I remember Hakan, and heat bursts through my veins making my entire body pound with rage.

“Was there a Celebration?” I ask this one question, out of all the questions roving around my head like a smoke cloud–almost blinding me.

“Orenda had told father that the Leader’s body was lost in water. He died in some kind of sailing training.”

“Oh.”

“Shall we go?”

“Okay.”

***

And in a matter of hours we reach the mountains. The earth is dangerously rocky here, and any wrong step would cause you an ankle injury, and we have to be careful of rocks sliding down the mountains in some places.

We hear shouts far away from where we are, and this means we don’t have much time before the guards reach us. But it’s mid-night, and there’s a great risk if we go on in this darkness, but what other choices do we have?

“Take care!” I whisper to Catori who’s running behind me.

“I can’t see a damn thing!”

“Ugh,” I stop in my tacks and turn around, “give me your hand!” and she does. I pull her with me along the rocky, uneven ground and keep on running like there’s no end. My legs and lungs are aching and I’m wondering how tired she must feel.

Suddenly her foot bends and she falls, pulling my hands downwards with her, and she screams. I quickly turn and pull her up, “Are you okay? Did you hurt your ankle?”

“I think so,” she says in pain, “but I can walk. Go on.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah.”

We walk a few other steps then I notice her limping, and it’s obvious she’s trying to hide it. I don’t ask before I lift her up and carry her on my back. “Whoa!” she exclaims in surprise.

Just two more steps. Literally. And we’re on the boat Catori had arranged for us. Two more steps and I’m on that boat crossing to the opposite side of the river. Going home. And I can’t believe this is really happening. . . yet.

“You ready?” I glance at her.

“Totally!” She cheers raising a fist in the air while holding on to me with her other hand. I laugh and she laughs back, her laughter sounds like it’s from a child who’s never tasted bitterness, and it fills me with a kind of energy I never knew. It’s the power of happiness, the motivation of joy–coursing through my veins, whirling around and around with my blood, and I would jump and run and laugh and even dance right now. I’m so happy!

We’re already sailing, but my heart has opened a door in my chest which has never been there, leaped out and is already on the Eyote’s Land.

__________________________________________

He's finally happy :D!!!

Make my day! (which means: vote and comment) ;) 

Nouran,, <3