Chapter 25 (Welcoming Danger)

- Chapter Twenty-five -

**LENMANA'S POV**

Welcoming Danger

I wake up home. My real home. The sun is so bright outside, and I freak out–thinking I’ve been late to meet Akando and the others. I literally jump up, and do the morning routine of washing and combing faster than I thought I could. We will start our plan today. I’m trying to get Lenno back today.

Once I get out, I find Hakan awaiting me.

No way . . .

“What do you want?” I ask in boredom.

“I want to take my wife home!” he exclaims. “Hey people, is that supposed to be that difficult?” he shouts in the middle of the street, and people stop to watch. Am I even surprised at them? No.

“Oh, seriously, Hakan,” I sigh, “you’re getting on my nerves!”

“Lenmana,” he looks downwards, sighs, then looks back at me, “look, either you like it or not, you are my wife. We’ve got to live like wife and husband, go shopping together; eat together; talk to each other; and even work. But this”–he points at him and me–“this is nothing different than before, it won’t work this way.”

“Uhh, you finally understood me, Hakan?” I say exaggeratedly, “Exactly! I don’t want it to work; I want this marriage to fail. I do not love you, Hakan. I don’t even like you. I can’t be any more honest! Please understand, and just let me do my job until we find a solution to this disastrous marriage.”

He stares at me for a couple of seconds–that seem too much longer–“so you simply don’t want the leadership?” he asks.

“What?”

“You know it’s either you be my wife, or let Orenda rule,” he smirks.

“Yes,” I say firmly, “I know that very well, Mr. Perfect. And I guess I’ve made my decision, and that’s exactly why you’re standing here in front of me, telling me we should be acting like husband and wife, and I don’t know what.”

“Talking to you is exhausting!” he shouts.

“Not as half as talking to you is.” I say as I pass him. “See you later, Mr. Perfect.” I hope not.

“STOP CALLING ME MR. PERFECT!” He shouts.

***

I’m on the riverbank and I’ve already found them–Akando and the guys. “Good morning,” I beam at them. It’s been long since I actually said those two words. It’s been too long since there was a ‘good morning’.

“Good morning, Len,” they say together.

“So..are we ready?” Maybe I’m literally bouncing..a little.

“Yes, we’re ready,” Akando smiles at me, but something about his smile is wrong. It’s dull. His face is all the shades of black and grey. He’s forced his lips to curve it.

“What’s wrong?” I ask him.

“Just take care,” he says quietly. “Take care, everyone!” He shouts this time, looking at all of them.

We must take care. Akando is nothing but normal. Of course normal..for someone who’s walking himself to death.

“We need access to the boats, Lenmana,” Ahiga tells me.

“Okay, I’ll go with you and Akando and get that done, now,” I nod.

“Great,” he says.

“Nara and Tula,” Akando turns to them, “you’ll go the market and bring us some food.”