Chapter 13 (Tensioned)

- Chapter Thirteen -

T E N S I O N E D

I wake up today with a new feeling, and I am smiling. I have been dreaming of Lenno all night long, and in my dreams I’ve talked to him more than I’ve ever did in real life. And it felt so good; it always does when I am with him. I never knew I had all those intense feelings toward him, but I’m thankful for that, because having all these feelings toward someone who is not to be with you hurts like hell.

I get up quickly and change into the clothes I’m supposed to wear at the Celebration. I’ve already prepared my outfit yesterday – A tight brown gown that covers down till my knees. I put it on and tie Hakan’s necklace at the back of neck. I, then, sooth my hair and shake it to look natural. And I go out with no make up to hide my happiness or the gleam in my eyes.

This time is different, I’m feeling different going to the Celebration with Lenno by my side, and it feels safe. I love it. I draw the curtains open, and my face lightens at what I find in front of me – Lenno. I get butterflies and my temperature rises, I smile and look at him smiling which makes me blush. I never knew how it feels to be with the one you love. But I guarantee; it feels like heaven.

“You’ve been waiting,” I say it more like I’m assuring myself than asking him.

But he doesn’t reply to the question anyway, “you look beautiful,” is all he says. And my temperature rises even more; I think I’m going to pass out.

“Th-thank you,” I stutter and smile nervously avoiding his gaze.

“And I love your necklace,” he compliments me.

My heart skips a beat as I say, “yeah, the necklace, thank you.” I don’t why I felt nervous when he mentioned the necklace, but I guess when some guy gets you a present when you’re in love with someone else it should feel wrong, that’s why. I think I’m not supposed to say that Hakan got me it, but I don’t know why I hear the words rushing out of my mouth, uncontrollably, “Hakan got me it yesterday,” I guess I didn’t want to have secrets hidden from the beginning, “he said we could at least be friends,” I smile, but I don’t find the same expression on his face, so I continue, “you know, this is sure better than him thinking I could still accept his proposal.”

“Sure,” he says so calmly and emotionlessly.

“So,” I try to shake the tense atmosphere, “let’s get going.”

Before we leave to the Cannibal’s Land, I have to give my class first, and so we walk there. I get in and find my students sitting in the order I love to see, from the youngest to the eldest.

“Good morning kids,” I greet them with a smile so bright I didn’t know I could give.

“Good morning Lenmana,” they say in the same voice and enthusiasm.

Lenno glances at me and then nods at the very back of the tent, meaning he’ll just sit there, and I nod back.

“Today,” I start, getting the children’s attention back to me, “we’ll continue our story about the tribe and grandfather Eyote.”

Kinda raises a hand and I allow her to speak, “I asked you last time how did the war get the name: ‘The Momentous Mid-land War’.”

“Yes, I do remember that,” I give her the widest smile ever, and find it reflected on her innocent little face, “well I’m here today to tell you,” I take an exaggeratedly long breath and start speaking, “The first war between the Eyotes and the cannibals was given ‘The Momentous Mid-land War' as a name because, firstly, it was indeed a great war; actually the greatest war in the history of the two tribes, and it was our very first victory against those criminals. And as for the ‘Mid-land’ part I guess it is obvious enough, it means that the war took place on a mid-land that belonged to no one.