on

"What brings you here miss Ruby" his voice low and soothing. Though, I can't help but roll my eyes at the typical question. I thought it was just in movies. 

I notice him smiling, observing my reaction "The question usually comes up when I bring new patients in, I won't be using that for you anytime soon don't worry" he winks again. 

"Then we'll cut to the chase. My parents think I killed my brother and I want to die because of it." I blurt out staring hard into his hazel eyes "Im not going to lie, it is the truth, but unless you have a way to block my brothers impaled body out of my mind then I don't think you'll be of much help" 

A brief moment of  silence fills the air. His expressions are unfazed whereas my eyebrows are furrowed and my eyes speak of blasting fireballs onto his desk. He starts taking notes, still blank in the face. 

"What are your parents like?" 

"what do you think?"

"They seem genuinely worried about you"

"oh please, thats crap.I quit school and I'm costing them a shit load. They don't worry about me they just want a quick solution" 

"Do you think there IS a solution?" Eyes focused on me.

Solution.

 To solve this problem I'd just have to shoot myself. Quick and easy, not much money from their side and no more sobbing daughter digging holes in the backyard.  I find myself sliding into the couch so I fix up my posture with my arms wrapped on my chest. 

"I can't say I know the answer to that" 

He takes notes. 

He doesn't push me into answering any more fucked up questions. He asks how I'm like and food I hate and love. If i'm more of a movie person or a tv show type chick. I just think he's starting a convo just so he makes me more relaxed into talking to him but it will take way more than that. 

The session is coming to an end but then he asks "How do you sleep at night?" 

I stare at him long and hard. My jaw's clenched my eyes narrowed. I feel that I'm tensing to that question.

"I manage"