The Questions

Maya's POV

"No."

"No?"

"No, I don't WANT you to leave." I say, unable to lock eyes with him anymore.

"But you think I should?" He asks and I roll my eyes.

"Why are you asking me this!?" I growl.

"Because I value your opinion. You're a very important person to me." He replies calmly, ignoring my aggravation.

He lifts my chin and looks me in the eyes, smiling.

It takes all my will-power to not smile back at his cute face.

"I still think I'm going to the college anyways." He says softly and my jaw drops.

"Wha...what?" Of course I wasn't expecting him to actually go!

I thought maybe he'd actually stay for me... That selfish, inconsiderate....-

"Just kidding." He interrupts and now I'm pissed.

"BUCKY MCFUCKY AGH!" I shout and punch him in the arm.

He laughs at my pink face and pokes my nose before getting off the subway.

I follow behind him, "So you'd be really upset if I left though?" He asks and I glare at him.

He smirks and unzips his jacket as we enter the hallways of our high school.

As he slides it off slowly, Zay approaches us. "Hey Maya. Lucas."

He looks back and forth between us and Zay shocks us both.

"Maya, would you go to the Spring Formal with me?" He asks and before I can even open my mouth to answer, Lucas shoves his cologne scented jacket in my face.

I'm taken aback, and all I can hear is, "Seriously dude?"

And "You've had the chance for years to ask her out bro. This is my chance."

Then "You know how I feel."

"And you know how I've felt too. What makes my feelings less important than yours Lucas?"

I pull the jacket away from me and try fixing my hair while watching the two.

Riley's charm is contagious, I'm not going to say no, even though I really want to.

But Zay also is my friend, and it is only one dance. Why not give it a try?

They're both waiting for me expectantly to reply.

I hand Lucas his jacket, "I'd love to go to the dance with you Zay." I reply nicely, and Zay's face lights up.

Lucas seems unable to move... Is he breathing?

Zay hugs me, "I promise, we'll have lots of fun." He says and I nod as he walks off to class.

"Lucas?" I cautiously breathe his name and he looks down at me, betrayal is expressed on his face.

"How could you?" His voice is deep and hoarse.

"If Riley would of asked you..." I try and bring up but he ignores me and walks away.

"Well fine." I hiss under my breath as I approach my locker and unlock it.

"Maaaaaaaayyayayayayaya." I hear Riley sing from behind me, I smile.

"Riles." I reply and she can see right through me.

"What's wrong?"

"Zay asked me to the spring formal in front of Lucas."

"Oh?"

"And I said yes."

"Oh no." Her smile drops and concern spreads across her face. She grabs my hand and leads me away from anyone nearby.

"How mad was he?" She urgently asks.

Now I'm worried.

"He wouldn't even talk to me he was so shocked."

"Oh no." She repeats.

"What!?" I shout impatiently.

"Texas Lucas."

"He wouldn't be that mad." I say and she shakes her head, "Maya, he loves you. If you two weren't close... It wouldn't matter. But you are. And Zay just took something so precious from him.... He may want to react." Riley warns.

"Well I can't just tell Zay, 'Oh sorry! I changed my mind!'" I yell upset and she pinches the bridge of her nose in deep thought.

Suddenly the bell rings and I suck in the air, the tightness in my chest makes it hard to breathe.

"Just... Don't worry about it Maya, I'm sure Lucas can handle himself." Riley attempts to reassure, but her words only come in one ear and out the other.

I bite my lower as I take my stuff to my first class.

When I look over at Lucas' seat, I'm only relieved to see he's still here.

"Mr. Matthews!?" I raise my hand and he raises an eyebrow at me. I look over at Lucas and he nods his head in approval.

I plop down next to Lucas, "Look I'm sorry."

"Sorry for what!?" He's gripping the edge of his desk tightly, trying not to snap at me.

"I- Zay's our friend. I didn't want to hurt his feelings."

"But you were willing to hurt mine?" He coldly asks.

"Well no.... I just figured you knew-"

"Knew what, Hart?" He interrupts

"That no matter what, I've always loved you."