Fighting Chance for Sherri

I set nervously in my seat as the clock ticked down. This game was on the verge of giving me a heart attack. The Warriors hadn't made a bucket in the last four minutes and missed free throws were proving to come back and bite the guys in the ass. I watched as Coach Kerr called a time out and tried to rally his troops for one last play. I could tell that whatever had been said in the huddle hit the guys hard, because each one came out of the huddle looking more determined than ever, especially Klay and Steph. Kyrie called for the ball and faced Steph, he took two dribbles and released, I watched with horror as the ball went into the hoop. It got really quiet in Oracle Arena as everyone started to panic. The Warriors had to win the ring, they'd went 73-9 and had so many people doubting them and waiting for something like this to happen so they could say I told you so. I watched as Klay stood in disbelief and as the realization started to set in for him. They couldn't falter just yet. Steph and Klay had one of the quickest releases in the NBA and were a known threat behind the three point line, which just so happened to be how many points they were down by. We could still win this, so why was this nagging feeling still in the pit of my stomach? Draymond threw the ball into Steph and he let the ball roll to half court before he picked it up and dribbled once before releasing the ball. The crowd as a unit stood on its feet ready to erupt because we knew for sure the ball was going in, but that wasn't the case. The shot missed and Draymond was forced to foul Lebron. The game was over and the Cavs won the championship.

"I know the Twitter world is about to have a field day with this," I sighed looking at my mother in law Julie.

I watched as Klay walked back with his head in his hands. I felt the tears well up, but I forced them down. I couldn't let Klay see how upset that I was, I needed to be strong for him.

"Hey, are you Klay's mom and wife?"

Julie and I nodded and the man smirked.

"Next time tell that piece of shit shooting guard and his dad to not open their mouths about the greatest of all time. King James didn't come to play with his ass."

There was so much in this moment that I wanted to say, but I bit my tongue.

"Why don't you just enjoy your win sweetie? Cleveland fought hard to get this win," Julie spoke up.

"And Lebron is NOT the best player of all time that title clearly belongs to Michael Jordan."

"I'm sorry who? King James could dust Michael's soft ass."

I chuckled and patted his shoulder softly.

"Like my mother in law said, enjoy your win."

Julie and I walked off and started the solemn walk back to the family waiting room. My heart broke as I looked around the room at all the women and men, who planned on celebrating the Warriors going back to back.

"This is bullshit," one of Draymond's people said.

We all nodded our heads in understanding. Most of us had our theories on why the team lost, but at the end of the day there were just excuses. Complaining wouldn't change the fact that the Cavs were the 2016 champions. I just hated that in a way the guys let everyone feel validated about them losing the finals.

"But they broke the Bulls record," Sydel, Steph's little sister said.

Everyone started chiming in on their favorite moments of the season and slowly but surely, we started healing and gaining strength from one another to deal with our respected player. When Klay was done with all his interviews, he came and gave me a quick peck before he pulled me out of the room.