Teacher's Pet for Maria

"Are there any more questions class," I asked looking out at my second graders.

"No mam."

I nodded my head before moving onto assigning homework to the students. The final bell sounded off and I walked with my students outside as they lined up to either get on their designated bus or waited for their parents to pick them up.

"So are we still on for dinner tonight?"

I turned around to see my best friend Cara looking at me.

"Of course. I owe it to you don't I."

"You do. I've been trying to get you to go out with me for a month now."

I rolled my eyes and tried to hide the smile that still made its way to my face.

"I'm just focused on making sure that my students are the best people that they can be."

"And that's amazing, but you also have to make some time for yourself sometimes."

"You're right. Are you picking me up from my place or am I meeting you there?"

"Meet me there. I may find me a little dessert when we get to the restaurant," she said winking at me before she walked off to grab her things from her classroom.

I stood around a bit longer before walking into the school to grab my things. I opened my planner to see if I had everything set for next week. Taking a seat I got lost in the planning and before I realized it, it was nearing six. Cara was going to be so upset with me.

***

When I pulled up to the restaurant, I hurriedly handed the valet my car keys and headed inside to have my dinner date with Cara. When I entered the restaurant, I saw her talking to a man, who for some reason looked familiar. I brushed it off and made my way over to my best friend.

"Hi Cara," I said smiling down at her.

"Well hello there Maria. Where in the hell have you been?"

"I'm sorry. Lesson planning ran a bit late."

"Of course it did," she said rolling her eyes and taking a sip of her drink.

"How many drinks have you had," I asked with a bit of concern in my voice.

"Calm down mom. He's been keeping me company."

I turned around to the 'he' that she was speaking of and my eyes nearly popped out of my head. There was no way that Klay Thompson was the man that had been keeping my friend company.

"Hi," I managed to get out.

He didn't respond at first, he just stared at me and I pulled at my dress starting to feel a tad bit uncomfortable.

"Hey. She couldn't stop talking about you," Klay said outstretching his hand for me to shake. "Klay."

"It's nice to meet you."

"Likewise."

"Thanks for keeping my friend company while she was waiting on me."

"It's no problem."

I found myself staring into his eyes and I had to look away before I did something that I would regret. This was Klay Thompson that we were talking about.

"Bartender, may I have a ginger ale please?"

"A ginger ale? No no no," Kara whined as the bartender attempted to make my drink. "Give her a gin and tonic, she needs to loosen up."