Rosanne {7}

In and out, I drifted from my dizzy state numerous times.

Diego was always there for me. With me.

I knew this because each time I came to my senses, he was always around.

Sometimes I would wake up and call for him. Other times I'd just be aware of my surroundings but not really conscious.

The voices, the scents and Diego touching me made me want to peel my eyes open but the continuous dull pain in my head wasn't allowing me to do what I wanted.

The first time I came to was the time I wasn't really awake. All the muscles in my body were stiff and refused to even twitch at my command.

It felt like I was experiencing my own sort of paralysis.

My temples tingled slightly at first, the pain increasing and spreading through my body as I fought to take control.

Voices grew, becoming clearer.

One belonged to Diego. The others one was unfamiliar to me.

"When was it?" The stranger asked.

"Last October." Diego answered.

"Well it is a long time but as you said she also suffered from retrograde amnesia, it could've been worse for her head."

"How worse is it right now?" Concern pinched his voice.

A warm familiar weight landed upon my shoulder followed by Diego's question.

"She has got a hairline fracture to skull. Her concussion her must have healed two months ago at tops, that's why there is no severe damage."

"But why isn't she waking up?" Fear and agony along with something else accompanied Diego's tone.

"She'll wake up when she is ready. If she doesn't, then we'll have to take her to the hospital."

"Thank you so much Mr. McGregor."

"Don't mention it. But how did this happen?"

The darkness consumed me again.

***

"I don't want to talk about this now." Diego said in a stubborn voice.

"Then when? Perhaps when she wakes up?" Jared!

Thank God they were back on talking basis.

A harsh sound rang off from somewhere on my right followed by a heavy thud and Jared's grunt.

Oops. Guess they weren't really back.

"I told you, now is not the time!" Diego roared.

I swear I had never seen him so angry. Or in my case, heard him so angry. 

I willed my muscles to move so that I could stop my friends from fighting with each other.

But they remain frozen. Numb.

And I fell back into peaceful oblivion.

***

"You know why I did that. She needed you!" I woke up to Jared shouting.

"You left my brother there. In that fucking place! It should've been me."

Diego's reply came out in anguish, almost a sob.

Oh D, please don't break.

His voice struck me deep into my core.

I wanted to move goddammit!