5 ࿂ it's us or it's them

CARMEN AND ZOLITA had agreed that staying in the outskirts of Gotham was no longer an option. If Zolita wanted her family to be safe, she had to abandon the place where Batman resided. It was a sacrifice that the stripper was willing to make. She had a lot of money at her disposal, and using it to guarantee her family's safety seemed like the best use.

     Carmen had began to pack in the morning. She packed photos, clothes, and other supplies. Zolita told her she'd purchase new furniture when they moved. Zo was unsure of where they should go. The world now seemed endless.

     Barney wouldn't stop calling Zo. His name was continually flashing across her phone screen. When she didn't answer, he would text her, the writing plastered across the home screen; CALL BACK ASAP, CODE RED. Zolita still did not answer. Code red was an understatement. She only answered when the next text came through: BE SAFE. THEY ARE GOING TO YOUR HOUSE NOW.

     The stripper called the man back immediately. He answered without hesitation. "Zo? I've been trying to contact you-"

     "Who is 'they', Barney?" Zolita interrogated, nibbling at her nails. Carmen began to transfer the packed bags into her car. Emmi played on the floor with one of her dolls, staring at her mother.

     "I don't fucking know. I think they were with the Joker." Barney rambled, coughing slightly. "They were asking where you were. I didn't answer, I promise."

     "But they know where my house is?" Zolita asked, flashing a fake smile to her concerned daughter.

     "Someone called them and said they knew where you were. Get out of there quick, Zo. Don't look back." Barney demanded.

     Zolita closed her eyes and leaned farther into the phone. She let out a slight breath before she felt uneasy. "Barney... someone is there with you. I feel it."

     "What do you mean?" Barney asked, lowering his voice. "I'm locked in the back room-"

     Something wasn't right. Zolita knew that something was wrong. She couldn't pinpoint where her unease was stemming from. She assumed it was Barney, but was quickly proven incorrect when a surge of power spread through her veins. The Latina dropped her phone without a second though.

     "Emmi, come on baby!" Zolita hissed. The girl quickly stood, clutching her doll to her chest. The stripper ran to the living room, picking up Mateo from his play mat. The baby cooed, unaware of the danger he was in. Zolita began to rush out the door, holding her daughter's hand as she did so. "Baby, I need you to run as fast as you can, okay? We're going to get in the car. Don't talk to anyone, okay. And don't look outside the windows. Promise me you won't look."

     "I promise, mama." Emmi croaked as she ran, trying to keep up with her mother's fast paced speed. The two jogged down the stairs, Mateo giggling as he bounced in Zolita's arms.

     When the exotic dancer opened the door to get outside, she saw her sister loading a box into the truck of her silver car. Zolita quickly approached the vehicle and opened the door, gently placing Mateo in his car seat. Emmi ducked under her mother's arms and got into her booster seat.

     "Carmen, get in the car. We have to go." The stripper ordered as she buckled her children in. Carmen did not question her sister's request as she got in the passengers seat, watching as Zolita got in the car herself. As Zolita began to drive away, three large black vans pulled into the parking lot.

     "Duck!" Zolita hissed, motioning for her sister to hide herself. The girl then acted like she was looking right, trying to shield her face. After she passed the vans, she looked in the rear view mirror.