16 ࿂ you're here now

After that night, there was no official documents of Zolita anywhere within the government's meta-human database. Hell, there was not even any evidence that she existed or was once imprisoned in the infamous Belle Reve. After that night, she disappeared. Amanda's biggest concern wasn't even finding the criminal, but rather covering up that she escaped at all.

     Despite there being no record of it happening, everyone remembered that night, even those that weren't there. More specifically, they remembered the scream that Zolita released: the scream that leveled out half the city and caused earthquakes through all of North America; the scream that ruptured every cloud in the sky and led to continuous downpours across the country; the scream that disrupted the fault lines so bad that nearly the entire states of California and Colorado were evacuated.

     Everyone called it a freak event. Scientists around the world were baffled and continuously listened to recordings of that night and analyzed the pitch of the scream that everyone heard. No one knew what caused the noise, but they knew what the noise caused.

"Another tsunami occurred last night along the coast of Southern California," spoke the newscaster, her voice loud and pronounced. Her name started with an S: Shawna? Sarah? Sally? No—Sasha. "These obscure weather events are baffling scientists. The last tsunami to happen in California was in 1964, killing twelve people. Within the last month, four more tsunamis have happened along the coast, killing thousands and injuring millions."

Zolita sighed, itching in her seat. The remote stung her fingertips, and she just wanted to turn the fucking news off. But Carmen was sitting next to her, at the edge of her seat, holding her newborn son to her bare chest. The baby suckled on her breast, and Carmen shushed him slightly as he whined against her skin.

     "How the fuck did this happen, Carmen?" Zolita cried, her lips shaking as she stared at the screen. The channel of course thought it was perfect timing to integrate videos of people running and screaming for help. "I didn't— I didn't mean to!"

     Carmen turned to face her distraught sister, her eyes soft with pity. "I know, Zo," comforted the new mother. "You didn't know what you were doing—"

     "But I did," yelled Zolita, standing up and throwing the remote at the wall. "My mind told me... it told me to scream. And I did, but now I've killed thousands and I feel it every time someone's about to die and every time time someone does die and I can't stop it! I can't!"

     Carmen's son, Luis, immediately started to cry because of the yelling. Zolita's yelling came to a halt, and she stared at the small wailing child. Carmen comforted her son, rocking Luis back and forth until he fell asleep in her arms.

     "Zolita I can't help you," Carmen sighed, her lips strung tight. "You know I want to, but I don't know how. You ran away from the only people who could help you—"

     "Help me?" Zolita almost cackled at that. "You have no idea what they did to me."

     "Because you won't tell me." The air was thick with tension, and Zolita could faintly hear Emmi playing with Mateo in the other room. Mateo could walk now, but Zolita missed that development because she was in a fucking jail cell thousands of miles away.

     "What do you want me to tell you?" Zolita questioned, painting faux curiosity on her face. "How they locked me in a dark room? How they put a fucking stripper pole in the middle of it? How the guards would beat me? How they screwed a fucking device to my skull so I couldn't see anything?"