Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Adam and Linda fumbled about in the dark, rolling into each other and the walls as the van turned and accelerated. The doors were locked from the outside and they found nothing inside to help them escape. They wedged themselves into a corner, sitting alongside each other for bracing and support, both physical and spiritual.

"Do you have your cell phone?" asked Linda, who then recalled, "Oh, oh … we left them in the bin outside Percy's lab."

"We couldn't exactly go outside the lab and ask the delivery guy to wait a moment while we got our stuff and made our getaway. Don't forget the car keys were in there too."

                        Which were now with Buzz Cut, no doubt following us in my Pathfinder.

            Adam felt Linda shaking, and it was not just from the van's vibrations. He recalled her anxiety in the mine, in the enclosed space they shared with Ben and Hedda. 

            "Linda, are you okay?"

            Despite the cold air inside the van, her blouse felt wet against his body.

            "I … I'll be all right. Just need to focus."

Her breathing came in short bursts.

            "I'm guessing you're a little claustrophobic?"

            "I can usually beat it down … but just now…"

            "I understand."

            Adam held her tightly. "Try to relax. We'll be okay. If these guys wanted to harm us, they would have done so already." She snuggled close enough to him that Adam could feel her warm breath against his chest.

            He added, "We'll get through this just fine … I promise."

            After a few minutes the ride evened out. They appeared to have reached a highway judging by the steady speed. Adam kept his arm around Linda in an effort to calm her as well as himself. Linda reached her arm around his broad shoulders bringing them even closer together. They cocooned themselves against the chilly evening air seeping through the walls. The adrenalin rush had exhausted them. Although they tried to stay alert, it was difficult to ignore the seductive, hypnotic monotone rumbling of the van. Morpheus soon embraced the duo in his comforting arms.

***

            Adam woke up with a start. All he saw was black. Blinking his eyes, he recalled where he was—still in the van, but it was not moving.  He felt about for Linda.

            "Linda, where are you?"