Chapter 17

Chapter 17

It was like ice water. Adam felt himself go cold. "That's not possible. Ben told me himself that he lost the guy, your man Steven, in the breaker. Maybe there was an accident."

"Yes, an accident. Accidents can happen. And, then there is the matter of the missing policemen. When Paul and I left the mine, we passed a police cruiser along the way. There was no one in it. We assumed the police were on foot elsewhere, but when I checked with my law enforcement connections the next morning, the officers were missing."

Herman stood and directed his men to bring along his guests. The group followed him into an adjoining room where a small table lamp spot-lighted bookcase-lined walls. He drew aside a set of heavy drapes and flicked a wall switch which illuminated a hidden alcove. Linda drew herself nearer to Adam. An assembly of glimmering components sat on a pedestal—cylindrical and cubic shapes protruded from the three-foot pyramidal construct. A flag emblazoned with a Swastika draped behind the exhibit hinted at a deep and frightening purpose. The spotlight from above gave the bizarre hodgepodge a brilliant golden sheen and an unsettling feeling the alien machine could sputter to life at any moment. Adam's medallion sat squarely in the heart of the apparatus, like a centerpiece on display in a museum devoted to cutting-edge sculpture. It was astounding and baffling, and perhaps more accurately, bewildering.

"So, what do you think?" asked Herman as he clasped his hands together, rocking back on his legs.

Careful not to annoy his host any further, Adam asked, "What is it?"

"It is a talisman."

Herman pointed to the center of the dazzling display. "You have investigated this disk? Yes?"

Adam nodded but his eyes were drawn to the details of the pseudo-mechanical wonder surrounding his disk.

"Then you know that the disk is not of this Earth. Yes?" Without waiting for a response, Herman continued. "We have been waiting for years for this sign, proof of the existence of a superior race on this planet. This machine is an undeniable testament to such a race. All the theories and beliefs of our forefathers are now validated. With this unearthly object we can call together our sons and daughters to prepare for a new world order, a world order that has been too long in coming."

As Adam expected, Herman relished the chance to share his story. Starting with allusions to the Aldebarans and Aryans living within the Earth, he pointed to the inevitable rise of the glorious Fourth Reich. While Herman blathered on, Adam continued his visual analysis. Since the disk contained a stream of data, it must have been read and translated into some kind of action. He spotted a rectangular component with a slit imbedded on one end. 

There were several other suspiciously functional-looking parts, but they seemed out of place. Logic did not seem necessary to reassemble the machine, rather, the endeavor appeared hasty, aimed at building an idol, a tribute to an alien god. 

No wires anywhere. The technology and the civilization behind the machine are more than impressive. 

When Herman paused to draw a handkerchief from his robe, Linda took the opportunity to ask, "Just how do you propose this object will act as a call to a new world order?"

Herman wiped his chin. "Scientists like yourselves will be given the chance to examine the materials and conjecture on the purpose of this machine. Its age and workmanship will provide convincing evidence of an extraterrestrial origin. That it was the work of an ancient and superior race.  Their conclusion will be that this race descended from the original Atlanteans who now live beneath the surface of this planet waiting for the moment when they can re-emerge and assume their rightful place. When these findings are announced to the world, the news will call the Aryan nation into action, preparing the world for a new age."