Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Hedda appeared at the kitchen doorway. "Quick. Ya need to get out 'o here now. Herman's limo just pulled up outside."

The three rose as one. They followed Hedda to the head the stairway. She turned and pointed at a window. "Ya can get out that way. The fire escape'll take ya down to the backyard where your car is parked."

Adam asked, "But what about you?"

It was then that Adam noticed the automatic in Hedda's hand. His eyes narrowed.

"Don't worry 'bout me. I got a score to settle with that bastard, and it might as well be now."

Before Adam could reply he heard glass shattering on the wooden floor below, followed by a door bell jingle.

"Get goin'. I got some customers downstairs that need tendin' to."

Adam hustled the other two out the window and onto the railing of the fire escape. He handed Linda the keys and said, "Get down to the car and wait for me."

Hedda slipped her revolver into the folds of her dressing gown and took her time descending the staircase. When her line of sight cleared the ceiling of the first floor she saw the outline of a man in an overcoat silhouetted by the light streaming in from the open doorway. He stood perfectly still, staring at the dark recesses at the rear of the expansive display room. He leaned forward as if waiting for his eyes to adjust to the unlit, dim interior. She moved slowly, trying to avoid being detected.

"Hedda, Is that you?"

She knew Herman's voice. Fighting down an urge to answer, she steadily made her way to the base of the stairs.

"Now I see you. It is you, is it not? I have come here for the disk. Dr. Dove's car is in the rear, so I know he is here. My people are surrounding the place as I speak."

Hedda took a few more steps toward Herman. He carried something in one hand. As he held it to his side, reflected light glinted off the blue-black barrel of a Luger.

"What're ya thinkin'? You're trespassing, breakin' and enterin'."

 "Hedda, I have no argument with you. I just want that artifact returned to me."

"No argument with me? You bastard!"

Tears welled up in Hedda's eyes as she recalled the day Luke died. "It wasn't enough that you took that damn treasure for yerself, sendin' twelve miners to their watery graves while ya did it. Later you made sure Luke and Mihal got the worse shifts … the most dangerous jobs. You had to keep 'em outta the way, keep 'em quiet … and then another damn accident, and they were gone."

Hedda's eyes became watery. Herman's shadowy figure began to drift.