Chapter 22

Chapter 22

At dawn, the Schill University student center building was virtually empty. Although the cafeteria on the basement level offered a wide range of breakfast entrees, the two security guards seated at the counter stuck to their usual coffee and doughnuts.  Their customary daybreak grunts and shrugs were replaced this morning with wide-eyed animation replete with exaggerated hand gestures and raised voices.

"Did you see that damn thing take off last night?"

"Damnedest thing I ever saw."

"Shit. That was a damned spaceship man."

"Maybe."

"What do you mean, 'Maybe'? That sucker was a rocket ship. It just flew right up and disappeared ... and you saw the other one, right?"

"Yeah. That one must've been about a mile out. Man, seein' two of them fly up was a sight I'll never forget. For a second I thought those were missiles."

"What do you think it was all about?"

"Roger was on patrol duty last night and he said that he chased two faculty down to the fields.  They cold-conked him, but he got himself back up and chased 'em over to the practice fields. By then a couple of the townie cops showed up. Roger said these folks stopped at the fields and ran into a god-damned spaceship. Then a third guy carrying something, maybe a body, arrives and they just took off."

The story was met with a firm nod of approval.

"Where is Roger anyway?"

"He said that he had a meeting this morning ... in town.  Seems now, that some folks from the government want to speak to him."

"When I drove in through the back, the state police were running road blocks around those practice fields. Must have been ten, maybe twelve cars, and behind them I thought I saw a humvee or two, you know, the kind the military uses."

"Shit. Sounds like a big deal."

They gulped and swallowed, and then gaped at the TV above their heads as a news story came on.

"According to Scranton police, the two rockets seen by hundreds of witnesses last night were nothing more than model rockets fired off by hobbyists.  Officials declined to identify those responsible but did indicate that a full investigation into the matter would be forthcoming."

"Bullshit."

"Yeah, bullshit.  Those were big suckers.  I believe Roger. He was close to the one takin' off from here and he ain't one to exaggerate."

"You're damn right. Just look at the fuss out there this morning.  Those weren't no model rockets.  Somethin's up and it's somethin' big."

The two slugged down the remains of their coffees, stood up and left for their rounds.  Something big indeed was up.

***

In a matter of weeks the discoveries made at Brookhaven became a worldwide sensation.  Broadcast and cable TV networks carried the story and video clips of interviews with Dr. Percy Wild flooded the internet. 

"...It appears that two scientists from Schill University presented Dr. Wild with a gold medallion claiming that it was millions of years old.  In a stunning revelation, Dr. Wild stated that using his advanced MRI imaging system, the medallion was found to contain humankind's genetic code..."

"... The implications of the find, if indeed it is not a hoax, are enormous. Religious groups claim the find is a fraud while scientists remain skeptical. Curiously. the medallion itself may have been lost..."