Chapter 21

Chapter 21

"Looking for something, Dr. Dove?"

Adam jerked. His legs were eager to break into a run. He saw only deep shadows between and beneath shrubbery and trees. He straightened up and looked again. A uniform stepped into the faint light of a distant street lamp.

"Over here, sir."

"Sorry, you surprised me."

The officer brought hand to mouth and spoke into it. "I found him. Come on around to the other side of the block."

"I'm sorry, officer. How can I help you?"

Adam was thinking at light speed. It would be mere seconds before the patrol car showed up. The officer speaking to him did not have a drawn weapon, or at least he could not see one in his hand.

Not yet.

"Stay calm, Dr. Dove. We just need to talk to you concerning the death of Mr. Herman Borman."

"But, I've already given my statement."

"There are few more questions that need clearing up. We're going to need you to come with us."

The officer brought one hand down to his holster. Adam saw headlights turning into the street. The corner lamp light glinted off its blue hood. It was Linda's Corolla. As it approached the officer glanced up, no doubt expecting to see his partner. Adam leaped and brought him to the ground.

"I'm really sorry about this."

Adam struck the officer across the chin as hard as he could. He winced at the pain in his knuckles. The officer rolled beneath him, groaning loudly and spewing out garbled invectives. The Corolla pulled up alongside the pair and the passenger side door swung open.

"Get in. We need to move fast. I saw a police car coming up the street."

Linda's hoarse whisper sprung Adam into action. He jumped in, slamming the door shut. They took off with a mewling screech just as a patrol car turned the corner. Its flashers and siren came on immediately.

"Looks like the officer I hit was able to warn his partner."

Linda turned to him as she floored the accelerator. "You have the medallion?"

She was wearing a sweatshirt with the hood pulled over. Her voice was low and raspy, seemingly strained with tension.

Adam answered, "Yes…of course."

He looked in the side mirror and saw the cruiser stop for a moment. Then its headlights burned bright as it picked up speed and began to close on them.