Chapter 20

Chapter 20

In 1980 Adam and his father had just returned home after seeing The Empire Strikes Back. Adam was standing on the driveway staring up at the night sky. Billowy clouds were scattered above, illuminated from beneath by city lights. He stared at a black patch between the gray, cotton-like masses, and then he saw them—three lights moving between the clouds maintaining a steady formation. His heart leaped into his throat, so much so that, for a moment, he was frozen in place and could do nothing but stare in wonder. His father was already at the front porch and turned his head to look back at Adam.

"Dad! Come over here! Look up there! Flying saucers!"

Adam focused all his attention on the black patch and now saw a fourth, and then a fifth speck of light join the formation. They were flying behind the clouds.

He heard his father approach along the driveway. As he turned his head, the corner of his house came into view, cutting up against the clouds. The clouds drifted behind the roof line.

His heart sank as he realized he was looking at stars, and the moving clouds had fooled him into thinking something entirely different.

"What is it son?"

"Aw, nothing dad. Just thought I saw something."

***

Adam sat on the front porch of his house gazing at the stars between puffy gray streaks. His eyes were moist. He had told his mother about the adventures of the past week, the analyses of his medallion, the chases, the kidnapping, the shooting and finally, Alpha and his offer … an offer for the Ages. Anyone else hearing these stories would assume they were made up, and in fact, that maybe Adam was delusional. But his mother took it all in stride, listening to every word with no more alarm than she would if Adam had just returned from high school and was catching her up on the latest teen gossip and intrigue. 

He wiped his eyes with a handkerchief and blew his nose. His mother came out onto the porch swaddled in a woolen wrap and carrying a tray of cookies and coffee.

"I brought you some dessert, honey."

She sat down in an Adirondack next to his, placing the tray on a small table between them. The night was cool with a mild breeze. Adam pulled up the collar of his wind breaker.

"Thanks, mom."

She sat back in the chair and held a cup to her mouth, gently blowing over it and absorbing its aroma and warmth. She stared straight ahead for a while and then turned to Adam with an uncannily placid face.

"You look troubled, honey. Is there something you haven't told me?"

"Oh … I think I told you everything. It's just that I don't want to leave you."

Adam's voice wavered, and he sighed to cover the near sob. "I don't know if I can do this. I'm going to miss you terribly."