one

luke

+
-

i'm tired.

well, i'm always tired. today, i just happen to be more exhausted than usual. i'm working my usual shift at seven am to twelve pm, but today is a bad day. the drive-thru machine decided to stop working so instead, all the customers flood to the counters where i work.

my blond hair lays almost like a mop on my head; it's limp and lifeless.

"hello, welcome to mcdonald's; what can i get you?" i repeat my scripted phrase for the billionth time.

"a sausage mcmuffin with egg please," the striking red haired woman states, clicking her nails to the desk.

her vibrant hair is almost too much to handle. so is her french perfume that's reeking off of her.

"of course, anything else?" i ask, tapping her order onto the little screen.

"that will be all," she smiles, biting her bottom lip.

"your total comes to four dollars and nineteen cents," i state monotonously.

"i forgot to bring my money, can you let this slide?" she asks, fluttering her eyelashes as she bends over
the counter.

i almost gag. things like this make me happy that i'm gay.

"four dollars and nineteen cents," i repeat, averting my gaze to the screen again.

she huffs but smacks a five dollar bill onto the counter. i take in and put it into the cash register; giving her change back. she angrily takes the receipt and money and barges down to wait for her food.

the rest of the morning goes pretty similar. no one else tried to seduce me into giving them a free meal but i got through endless amounts of people and served them all. if you asked me; i wouldn't be able to recall their face or anything. most customers will only make an appearance in my mind for a few seconds as i take their order but they will vanish seconds after they leave.

"our shift's almost over, lighten up a bit." my best work friend calum laughs.

"only two hours left to go," i mumble back, rubbing my blue eyes tiredly.

i hear an awkward cough which makes me look away from calum. there's a customer waiting on me.

"oh i'm sorry!" i say, my heart thudding loudly in my chest when i notice how attractive the customer is.

he has fire tuck red hair that's styled messily. his green eyes are alert and they shine with happiness. his pretty pink lips are stretched into an effortless smirk; like he knows how he's effecting me.

suddenly, i feel very self conscious. i know i didn't style my hair at all today, i didn't wash my face either. my clothes are wrinkly and there are heavy bags under my eyes. i'm hoping that my eyes are okay looking but i have a feeling that they're dreary and bleak from my tiredness.

"it's okay," he says.

oh that voice. fuck. it will be the end of me.

"hello!" i squeak, everything washing out my mind. "you're in uh, mcdonald's."

"yes, i'm aware." he chuckles.

"um, can i do anything for you? like, anything at all?" i say stupidly, gazing into his green eyes, mesmerized.

"you can get me a medium regular ice coffee with extra ice," the pretty boy laughs at my awkwardness.

"yes of course! a-anything else?" i ask, tapping his order in.

"can i also get an order of your mcdick?" he grins, winking perfectly.

"mcdick? i don't think we serve that here, i can order one! or is it a custom order, i can make it for you-" i ramble on, not wanting to disappoint the red haired boy.

"no, no. your mcdick. as in, your dick." the boy laughs at my silliness.

i suddenly realize what he means and a hot blush rises to my cheeks. "oh."

"you're a cutie, why haven't i ever seen you? i drive by everyday," he states, raising an eyebrow.

"i work on the counter, not the drive-thru." i explain, praising myself for not messing up the sentence.

"well it's a good thing that the drive-thru is closed today. it's nice to meet you, i'm michael." the gorgeous boy introduces himself.

"i'm luke!" i say, way too excitedly.

"i see that," michael grins, tapping on my name tag.

michael gives me money to pay for his drink. i return his change along with his receipt; the usual. the only thing different i do today is that i carefully print my phone number on the back of his receipt.

"see you around, blondie." michael grips my number in his hand.

"y-yeah," i nod frantically.

i'm afraid that i've made myself look too desperate but michael's already gone to the other side of the counter to wait for his drink. every once in a while, those pretty green eyes flicker over to me and get me all tongue tied again.

and for the rest of my long shift, i can't get michael out of my head.