eight

i sit patiently at my desk.

well by patiently, i mean i spin myself in circles on my black wheelie chair. i'm close to the point of
throwing up all over the place when i finally hear my office door being knocked on.

"come in!" i yell, stopping my spinning abruptly.

from my blurred vision, i faintly see a silhouette of a thin girl with grey eyes by the door. there's a contagious grin on her face that becomes clearer as i stumble closer towards her.

"melanie!" i scream, throwing my arms around her for support.

"easy there," she giggles, smoothening out my hair.

i'm on the bridge of spewing my guts everywhere since the world is still doubling and uneven. before that happens, i lose my grip and collapse into melanie completely. under my weight, melanie falls and we end up in a muddled heap on the ground.

"i didn't waste my lunch break to be squished to death," melanie groans, trying to shove my body off of hers.

"glad you came up, my day was so dull-"

"what's up with all the noise?" a third voice speaks up. "oh sorry, am i interrupting something?"

i blink to clear up my vision and i see michael standing above us two, a frown evident on his pretty face. although he said he's sorry, there's no sorrow or regret on his face.

"nothing," melanie blushes upon seeing her boss.

"doesn't look like nothing," michael frowns.

i quickly get to my feet and help melanie to hers. her face is a bright tomato red at this point.

"oh calm down michael. it's our lunch break, she and i are just going out for a quick meal." i sigh, breaking the silence.

"you're leaving the building?" michael asks unsurely.

"well yeah. we're going to that nice sushi place down the street," i nod my head.

michael's jaw is clenched as he looks over the two of us again. "very well," he states stiffly. "i'm expecting you both back here in half an hour."

"yes sir," melanie nods.

i don't even bother with a reply. michael is being awfully formal and annoying, i don't like it.

michael swiftly turns around and walks away quietly. his door is shut, but as melanie and i walk by his office, i hear him murmuring something. it's too quiet for me to make out any words.

"goodness melanie, are you okay?" i laugh at the sight of my clearly embarrassed friend.

"i don't wanna lose my job," melanie blushes.

"you won't," i reply firmly. "why would he fire you? you're not doing anything wrong."

"i guess," melanie shrugs.

we stand in silence as we wait in the elevator with terrible music. considering that we're on one of the highest floors, getting to the very bottom floor is going to take a while. we're halfway there when the elevator suddenly stops.

my skins pales for a moment, did the elevator just break down? luckily, the doors open to let someone else in. i roll my eyes when i notice it's jason with his typical jock smirk and ruffled white boy clothes.

"luke, melanie! just the two lovebirds i'm looking for," jason cheers, his voice dripping with faux excitement.

"what do you want?" i snap at the gorgeous boy standing across from me.

"well, it's not something i want. it's something mr clifford wants. he called me and he told me to join you on your little lunch date. you know, make sure you two don't do anything you're not suppose to." jason laughs snidely.

"no way," i respond quickly.

"hey, not my choice, remember?" jason hums.

"well, you can go back to your damn office and ring mr clifford up to tell him that you're not doing it! get out!" i stomp my foot.

"i could, but if i do that, mr clifford won't reward me." jason smiles his slick little grin.

my blood is practically boiling, i'm about to deck jason. i know that if i don't get away immediately, someone is getting their jaw broken. i decide to be wise and open the doors of the elevator to get off on a random floor.

i don't know where i am exactly, but i have one angry thought on my mind.

michael.