three

"the drive thru is back in action," calum whispers as he scurries to take his usual shift at the window.

"i know. why are you telling me this?" i ask, feeling confused.

"because michael is a regular customer who comes through the drive thru. the only reason why he only came into the store was because the drive thru was down. now that it's back up, he'll probably take the drive thru again," calum explains quickly as he hooks his earpiece into place and pins his name tag to the front of his shirt.

"oh," i mumble.

suddenly, the high energy i had before deflates. i was looking forward to seeing michael today, it was the only reason why i actually slept early to wake up early to look presentable.

"yeah," calum replies, giving me a look of pity.

i don't have any will to get through the day. i honestly just want to bend over and sleep. if it weren't for the fact that i needed more work experience, i wouldn't be here in mcdonald's. i only
have to get through the rest of the summer until semester starts and i go back to school.

with the enthusiastic smile i sported earlier on completely wiped off my face, i get back to work feeling dull.

time flies when you're all over the place, trying to get through hundreds of orders. when i finally have the time to glance at my wrist watch, i see that it's nine thirty am. it's pretty close to the time michael would usually come in.

even though i know he's not coming in, my heart flutters at the thought of him.

"welcome to mcdonald's, what can i get you- oh my god!" i squeal, cutting my own sentence off.

"huh?" the customer i'm currently on wonders out loud.

"no, nothing. i'm sorry. what's your order sir?" i beam, my foot tapping against the solid ground excitedly.

i genuinely don't care about this man's order. all i can focus on is michael's firetruck red hair pushing the doors open and his pink lips twisted into a sly smirk. he catches my wide smile and winks at me.

the customer looks slightly peeved when i make him repeat his order for the third time. when i finally do tap his order in, i give him his receipt and allow him to move down to the pick up counter.

the store isn't too crowded today considering that it's a wednesday and the drive thru is back in order. michael walks right to my cashier and smiles kindly at me.

"hello lucifer," michael greets.

"that's not my name," i roll my eyes, barely containing my grin.

"i know it isn't," michael laughs. "what time does your shift end today? twelve again?"

"yeah," i nod awkwardly.

"well get someone to cover your shift because you're coming with me," michael insists.

i'm not thinking properly; i don't even remember that michael's almost a complete stranger and he can possibly be a murderer. because i'm a lovesick fool, i tap sophia --who's shift just ended-- and ask her to cover my shift.

"what? no, of course not!" sophia huffs, her hand on her waist.

"here's a hundred dollars pal, just take over for luke please." michael says almost sounding bored. i look at his hand and he is holding a huge bill.

sophia looks as stunned as i do as she shakily accepts the money and puts her name tag back on. i slowly rush to the back to change from my ugly ass uniform to my regular clothes.

when i get back, i see michael leaning onto a wall. he's holding two cups of coffee. when i get nearer, michael hands me a cup and links our arms together.

"where we going?" i ask quietly as he softly urges me to walk along with him.

"to the clifford corporations."