III

''I need a medic in here now!'' Someone shouted, Zac's vision blurred as he tried to speak but nothing came out. Only silence, the flashing light in his eyes burning his pupils like when his eyes would connect with the sun.

''I'm so sorry for whoever has done this to you, it'll be okay kid. Just stay awake for me. Medic come on!'' The guy spoke again, Zac now fading in and out of consciousness while the investigator kept his head from falling back.

''H-Help me...Pl-lease.'' Zac choked out, his chest filled with his own blood as he spat out more each moment he was brought around by the sounds of people rushing into the room. The faint snap of the ties giving him some relief, his body tired as he was carried out into the hall before darkness filled the white void in his mind.

***

''Hey, wake up sweetie.'' The elderly nurse spoke, having noticed Zac's soft stirs in his hospital bed. ''You've been out for three days, the people outside have been waiting a while to see you.''

His head slowly tilted to the side, his eyelids feeling glued together before the small light beamed on through the tiny gaps, his face scrunching up as he groaned. ''W...Wh-e—re am I..I.I?''

''One word at a time, young man. Your vocal cords took quiet some damage, and from what your medical records tell us. Well, you'll need to keep to small words until everything seems okay. You're at the hospital, you have been for three days due to an assault taking place on yourself.''

The nurse in maroon scrubs smiled softly towards him, her hands pull at the covers and show him the wires attached. ''See? You're safe my dear. Would you like to see your friends?''

Nodding gently, his eyes feeling heavy with tiredness, his fingers toying with the material of the sheets that cover him as she stepped outside.

''No, listen we'll overwhelm him. Let's go in one by one.'' Clara spoke, her hand resting on her eldest child's shoulder. ''Lauren, you go first then we can come in one by one slowly.''

Lauren gave a limp smile, opening the door to see him laying there in the same bed she would find him in these past three days, but this time was different. His eyes were open, his small smile was present on his lips and she could finally speak with him once again.

Wiping her eyes, her feet shuffling over towards him before she took the small space on the bed up.

''You scared us, you know that?'' The girl wept, her finger poking his chest while he just gave a gentle smirk. ''I could never imagine, nor do I want to imagine what it was like for your family after your accident. Just three days without seeing you smile or any interaction was breaking me.''

''Gu—ess I wu-was mis-s-sed.''

''Zac, of course you were. I love you. Everyone loves you, our hearts were empty when you weren't there to fill it.'' Taking her hand ever so delicately in his, his thumb grazing over hers while she used her other hand to wipe the tears that fell.

''I'm so sorry that we've been whatever we are, Zac. Maybe I shouldn't have flirted with some other guys, maybe I shouldn't have done a lot of things. And I've learnt my lesson, not to treat you that way ever again because you cared. More than actual boyfriends.'' She softly laughed, the door now creeking open to reveal a shy Dinah. ''But you were also right, we needed to end this before we ended up on bad terms.''

Zac just softly nodded, his heart too tired to give an argument or fight for Lauren, so he nodded and remained quiet. Motioning for Dinah to join them, whom found herself distant towards him.

''I-I'm su..su so sou-rry.''

''I know you never meant it, I do. I know you'd never lay a hand on me, it just caught me off guard Zac. We're all good, sorry for making it seem different. But I don't want to go near you, I accidentally tugged a wire yesterday and the lady nurse told me off.''