CHAPTER FOURTEEN

Enfri's suite had grown cold after Ban left. He'd woken her as Sasha's feast with Adeyemi drew near, and Ban had been dear enough not to mention the spot of drool Enfri had left on his shirt. He then went off to get himself ready, but not before finding Jin to tell her that Enfri was awake.

Dear Ban. Enfri thought she and Jin were lucky to have him on their side.

She was almost dressed for the coming event and stood in front of her vanity mirror to put on the finishing touches. Her gown was a pale dandelion yellow that matched well with her hair and contrasted with her skin. There was a layer of wool beneath the silk for warmth, and the neckline went up to her throat. She had nothing in the way of jewelry, but Pacifica had insisted on giving a few pieces as gifts.

Enfri now wore an emerald ring on the middle finger of her right hand. It was engraved with the House Yora sigil, a signet ring intended for the head of house. More emeralds hung from her ears, and a jade comb was waiting on her vanity.

Deebee, shockingly, had a gift for her also, though she'd been evasive about saying where she acquired it. It was a necklace and pendant set with a large, pink opal, as well as a matching bracelet. Enfri was grateful, but she wondered how long Deebee had kept such a beautiful piece in her holding spell.

"Never you mind that, girl," Deebee had said when pressed. "When a dragon gives something from her hoard, it's nothing to dwell and ask questions over. It does my heart good to see you wearing it."

Afterwards, Deebee flew out through the window on a mysterious errand. Ever since she woke up, Deebee had been more cryptic than usual. She claimed that she didn't wish to burden Enfri when her thoughts needed to be elsewhere, but she eventually promised that all would be clear before long.

"Soon, love," Deebee said. "I think you'll be pleasantly surprised after so much bad news."

What is that blustering lizard up to? Enfri wondered. She certainly seemed pleased with herself. Or just eager. Winds, but Deebee can be hard to read when she gets like this.

Enfri wished that her own nap could have been as reinvigorating. If not for Ban serving as her pillow, she doubted she'd have gotten any rest. As she slept, Enfri had had the most bizarre dream. Ban was in it. He and Enfri were having tea in her old house on the desert's edge. Everything was peaceful and calm, Enfri chatting about her day, Ban listening and conveying news from Sandharbor. It had been as if they were married and living on the homestead during a comfortable life together.

Mildly disconcerting, Enfri believed, but far from unpleasant. Had her life gone down a different path, she might have been quite taken with Ban Karst. He was kind, brave, handsome, and she'd caught herself stealing appreciative glances at his backside, once or twice. In Enfri's opinion, Rippling Moon was a fortunate woman, because if nothing else, Ban was a phenomenal napping partner.

The dream hadn't become truly odd until others entered into it. First had been Kiffa Smith, Enfri's former apprentice. Then Kiffa's eldest brother, Haythe, whom Enfri had wanted to marry when she was younger. It was only two weeks since Enfri last saw them, but it felt like ages. The reunion was bittersweet.

There'd been others from Sandharbor as well, Goodwife Cobbler, the Tanner brothers, Nchika, Alstai Thatcher, Goodman and Oldwife Wainwright, and the Cooper family. They were all as Enfri remembered them, vibrant and alive, her dear friends and neighbors. And then, as one, Ban and the goodfolk of Sandharbor prostrated themselves before her. All the while, a dark voice laughed and said that was how it should always have been.

You are an empress, it continued to whisper. Take what is owed to you.

Just what do you think is owed to me? Enfri thought back.