CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

Krayson tried to hide his disappointment, but something of it must have shown in his expression.

"I am trying, Krayson. I just don't think it works like that."

Saveen was dressed and back in her human form. She sat across from him at a long oaken table within one of the Sanguine Tower's many libraries. Bookshelves formed a dozen aisles, with a number of quiet corners for study scattered throughout. The scent of old leather and paper filled the air. Muted sunlight streamed through a circular window high on the wall, illuminating dancing dust motes.

They'd experimented with their bond through the night. Hours later, the appearance of sunlight through the window had come as a profound shock to Krayson. It had been a long time since he'd last lost track of time in such a way. Though Saveen remained as vibrant and energetic as ever, Krayson could feel the missed hours of sleep crawling up on him like a stalking fangblade. His eyelids had begun to feel heavy, and his thoughts were growing slow.

Sudden vitality hit him like a mallet. Krayson jerked upright, then gave Saveen a furrowed brow.

"Err, sorry," she said. "You looked ready to drop off, so I tried... I'm sorry."

Krayson cleared his throat. "No harm done. It just... surprised me, is all."

Saveen's face brightened. "I'll try to be more gentle with it next time."

No use telling her I don't want there to be a next time, Krayson grumbled inwardly. Still, among all the unsavory aspects of dragon bonds, he supposed being able to freely give a little strength wasn't that terrible. Though, he'd prefer if it didn't feel like a bucket of cold water in the face.

Krayson and Saveen's table stood in the center of the sunbeam coming in through the window. That made the spot undesirable for anyone that might come to the library. Blood runners, as a rule, tended to avoid direct sunlight. Whether this was a product of their blood magic or most being irreparable shut-ins was difficult to say.

As for Krayson, he sat with his back to the window yet still felt the need to squint against the brightness. He watched his companion with a growing sense of envy. Saveen basked in the light. She practically glowed, as if absorbing the sun's brilliance and shining it back out of her. Saveen was the sort of person that flourished best in the open sun. Bright and cheerful.

Krayson tried not to hold that against her.

Since entering the tower, Krayson had Saveen try to replicate what she'd done to his hand to little, but nonetheless measurable, result. Both his hands were now adjusted, but his most fervent hope was proving more difficult.

"I could try again," Saveen offered, "but I don't think I can make you taller."

Krayson grimaced but nodded in acceptance. He just wished he could figure out why slightly longer legs were out of reach when altering the structure of his hands wasn't.

And the top shelf of my bookcase will also remain out of reach, he thought glumly.

"It's strange," Saveen said. "It's almost like I'm trying to change parts of me I didn't know I had before."

Krayson worked his hands through a few simple somatics as he listened. He avoided channeling ether through them again until he was more confident with his execution. The most basic gestures felt strange to him all over again. The adjusted structure of his hands was throwing off his somatics just enough to risk the spell failing, or even miscasting; errant spells were almost always a bad thing.

"Aha!" Saveen called out, clapping her hands. "I know why."

"Hush," Krayson admonished. "You're in a library."