CHAPTER FORTY-TWO

Krayson wore the red half-robe of a sworn brother once more. To be himself after being in hiding brought with it a profound relief. An old and familiar wariness was there, also. He kept his hood raised and eyes lowered as he walked, darting furtive glances to those he passed. With the bloodsong unguarded, he waited for the other shoe to drop. Any one of these people or an entire legion of dragons could pounce at him at any moment. His Bastion aside, he had yet to have an encounter with the mighty that didn't turn violent.

Saveen, on the other hand, was having the time of her life. She'd run off to chat with three blue dragons, two of which had come from lands far to the north beyond Melcia. Almo the Rampart hadn't joined them, just as the blues seemed hesitant to approach him. There was some interpersonal drama at play there, and Krayson had no interest whatsoever in getting involved.

He walked through the Dragon Empress' camp with Starra. They were escorted by a squad of six House Yora armsmen in green and silver tabards. A deep-voiced Altieri paladin and his green dragon accompanied them. The dragon wore the form of an older man, gray-skinned with geometric patterns of green over his face. He had a timid and kindly air about him, but his Emerald Knight could crack stones with his severe glare.

Krayson and his companions were separated almost as soon as the battle at the volcano was over. Starra and Krayson had been put on the Constable while Maya and Josy were carried by the Storyteller. Saveen was thoroughly engaged by her fellow blue dragons, and Krayson hadn't spoken with her throughout the flight to Temradel.

After arriving, it was difficult to say who was mistrusted more. He and Starra or the royal assassins. Maya and Josy had been led away by Knight-Marshal Ban and taken to a secluded tent where a full detachment of armsmen and dragons were waiting. Under guard, though they were likely being told otherwise. The people Krayson passed in the camp stared after his red robe. Many tried peering beneath his hood or at Starra's veil as if trying to get a glimpse of red eyes. Mutterings of "blood mages" and "fell magic" followed in their wake. It was to be expected. Krayson rarely found acceptance, even from those he delivered bloodsongs to.

At least Saveen was receiving a warm welcome. Even now, Krayson could hear her voice carrying over the distance between them as she spoke with others of her kind for the first time. It might have been his imagination, but Krayson thought he could feel her excitement through the bond. Her voice grew distant again without Krayson ever catching sight of her.

"From what I can gather," Starra said to him, "the Rampart was against the Tower joining Shan Alee. As for the Parapet and the Bulwark, they were under the impression that their Eldest was still Saveen. Saveen the elder, I should say. It came as a surprise to them that the Rampart was now the Eldest, and he was taking a stance of noninterference to boot. They tried to pretend as if nothing at all had changed, ignored the Rampart entirely, and did as they believed the original Bastion would do. Our Saveen's mother was apparently something of a firebrand."

Krayson tried to cure his headache through force of will. Frustration had begun to boil up from his chest. It didn't appear as if he and Starra were being taken anywhere in particular. They were simply being marched around the camp until someone decided what to do with them.

"I take it that's as rude a snub as a dragon can give to their Eldest. Just ignoring them. Can you believe it, Brother Joshuan?"

If all this made Saveen happy, Krayson could tolerate it, but he was nearing the end of his patience. The Dragon Empress must have been nearby. Had Krayson not made it clear what he carried for her? Where was she? Why hadn't she come to receive the bloodsong, or if she was wary of treachery, at least speak with him? For that matter, he had a dragon bond he wanted taken off of him, and he needed her help to do it.