CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

The Swan and Mallard Inn's common room was empty, and Krayson sat alone. The proprietress retired to her rooms long ago. The bard had taken his final bow. The goodfolk ambled home or upstairs to their rooms. Shadows played across the inn, cast by a single candle on Krayson's table that had been left by a kindly serving girl.

    He nursed a tankard of ale. It was a larger cup than he was used to, at least three times larger than the mugs in Eastrun saloons. Krayson found the drink to be bitter and not to his liking, but he continued to take small sips. Loathe as he was to admit it, he found that he was coming to understand why others indulged in alcoholic beverages. The warmth in both his stomach and his head were pleasant after a fashion. However, he decided early on that any more than this would be too much for him. A single drink enjoyed in silence, however, was a fine way to end the day.

    "Still awake?" Starra asked, approaching his table with a candlestick in hand. She wore a shimmering, pink nightdress. Her hair was tied back for bed, and she had a pair of warm slippers on her feet. Starra appeared to value her personal comfort above practical concerns such as keeping a low profile. Even her nightwear was ostentatious. "After demolishing half a turkey and your body weight in potatoes, I expected to find you comatose."

    "Soon enough," Krayson said. "It's been a long time since I've had the chance for a peaceful night's sleep. I wanted to give this opportunity all due appreciation."

    Starra slid into the seat next to him. "Enjoying being able to sleep by not sleeping?"

    "More or less."

    She laughed softly. "That almost makes sense, but just almost. I don't suppose you've seen Her Highness return?"

    Krayson shook his head and took another drink.

    "Pity," Starra sighed. "I'm sure Maya can take care of herself, but a vampire tends to worry about their donors."

    "You shouldn't pursue her," Krayson said.

    "Brother Joshuan, if I were pursuing Princess Maya in earnest, there'd be no question of my intent."

    "There's been no question. You've been blatant, my lady."

    Starra pursed her lips. "But it's so much fun to fluster an Algara."

    Krayson raised an eyebrow.

    "You're right, of course," Starra sighed. "But surely you can't blame me for finding her attractive."

    Krayson shrugged.

    She stuck her tongue out at him. "You're no fun at all. Admittedly, I've been an admirer of Her Highness coming on three years now. We'd never formally met before all this began, and I've wanted to ask her sister for an introduction for a while."

    "You know Princess Jin?"

    "Certainly. We frequent the same seamstress' gallery in Northrun and got on famously. You've never met anyone with better fashion sense, and such a lovely young woman. Very warm once you get under that royal facade of hers. Jin is an absolute delight at social events, and she dances with such grace."

    Krayson made a thoughtful sound. "You've danced with her?"

    "Once or twice. I remember the Dothraun's annual gala last year. Jin wore a red gown, detached sleeves and the most flattering corset and bustier you could imagine. She drew every eye in the ballroom, the most ravishing creature in attendance, and she walked right up to me before anyone else. And do you know what she said?"

    "I'm beside myself with anticipation," Krayson said flatly.

    Starra cleared her throat and affected a more measured and deliberate mode of speech. "Lady Starra, I believed you were an apprentice of illusion, not of enchantment."