CHAPTER FORTY

He didn't care how many people she had carried. After riding on Kimpo and Deebee, Ban felt like he and his armor were about to drag Saveen out of the sky. In complete disregard of his expectations, Saveen carried him towards the summit of Mount Vorti.

    "It's not too late to turn back," Ban said.

    "No. I want to help Kimpo."

    "If Almo really is your father..."

    "That's not important," Saveen interrupted. Her head drooped a little as she sighed. "Well, it is, but I don't want to think about that right now."

    "Your choice," Ban said. "I understand, though."

    She glanced back at him. "You do?"

    "More like I can imagine I understand. I didn't spend my life thinking my father was dead."

    Saveen snorted. "I'd always thought of Trell as my father. Then I find out he just wanted me to be his mate, and the dragon who might be my real father has been hiding in Sholis for the last twenty years."

    "Begs the question, how'd the Watchman get your egg?"

    Saveen kept quiet, but Ban had an inkling of what was running through her head. He knew next to nothing of her story, but he'd heard enough for his insight to put some of it together.

    "I was named for my mother," Saveen said. "Trell said he gave me her name so I could honor her memory. Now, I think he must have been infatuated with her, and he tried to groom me into becoming a Bastion he could control."

    Ban grimaced in disgust. "Deebee's been telling us for weeks the Watchman's more rat than mighty. You say he wants to serve Elise, got bonded to Master Deveaux, and on top of all that, is a fifth-tier pervert. Well, needless to say, I won't let dragons like him into our beloved's service."

    "It's not needless," Saveen said. "It's a comforting thing to hear."

    Ban reached out and patted the side of her neck. "Enfri will be beside herself to meet you. The thought of dragons being forced to serve Elise weighs on her, so one escaping will make her day. Just prepare yourself. Enfri's going to dote on you something awful. I don't need oracles to see that."

    A pleased ripple passed over Saveen's knobby scales. "What's she like? The real Dragon Empress, I mean?"

    "Deebee says it best. Enfri's like the sunrise."

    "Are you in love with her?"

    Ban chuckled. "You're not the first to ask, but no. Not in that way, at least. Rippling Moon is my blue."

    "Blue?"

    Ban ran his hand across the top of his helmet. "Waves. Remind me later, but we'll have to give you a crash course in how to talk to fey."

    "Oh! Blue as in girl. No, I get it. Ogres lived near my home. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that a giant like you is mated with an ogress."

    "Moon's a goblin," Ban said flatly.

    "What? A goblin? You're going to squish her!"

    "Come off it. I will not."

    "I've always wondered. Are goblins like a human or a deer down..."

    "Saveen the Bastion, bite your tongue." Ban shut his visor to hide his blushing. "Waves and tides. Is it the assassins, the vampire, or the blood runner that's the bad influence?"