CHAPTER FIFTY

The starboard wing lookout signaled the approach of a friendly dragon once again. Enfri turned to look to her right in confusion. Who would be coming to meet them this far from the battle? Maybe they were coming to tell her more about those airships.

"Your Majesty?" Saveen cried. The dragonet arrived in a hurry. She flapped her wings rapidly to stop herself from barreling into Deebee's side. The crewmen manning the starboard-side ballista ducked for cover before Saveen pulled up short.

"Winds, little one," Deebee scolded. "Don't be so reckless."

"Where's Ban?" Enfri asked Saveen, anxious.

The dragonet matched their course and speed, flying just beside and above Deebee's neck. "He's fighting Kimpo, but Draxa is coming! I'm faster than she is and got ahead of her, but she's coming this way!"

Lady Kora rose to her feet and drew her half blade. White etherlight flowed into the sigils on her armor. "Combat stations! The Inamorata downed three dragons at Mount Vorti, so keep your heads. I want ballistae armed and all crossbows at the ready."

Enfri turned in the saddle towards Kora. "Coordinate with Adar," she said. "We'll have to lead Draxa back towards the others and get help bringing her down."

"Grimdar's formation is pursuing her," Saveen said, "but she's got a wide lead on them."

"We can hold Draxa off until they arrive," Deebee said. "Well done, little one. We'd have been in a tight spot if you hadn't brought word ahead of her. You showed initiative and good sense."

Saveen winced.

"What's wrong?" Enfri asked her.

"You shouldn't thank me," she said miserably. "The marshal ordered me away."

Enfri felt her heart sink. "Ban... He doesn't expect to come back."

A low growl rumbled from Deebee's throat. "I understand what drives him, but it isn't worth his life. The boy has more value than he gives himself credit for."

Enfri glanced towards Pacifica over on Adar. The Ascendent's crew was watching the conference with Saveen though they were out of earshot. Pacifica should be told what was happening. She was as close to Ban as anyone.

"I want you to get to a safe distance, Saveen," she said. It tore at her heart, but Enfri knew there wasn't time to mourn Ban just yet. She called for the lookouts. "Eyes to the north. Tail watch, use tinted goggles and watch for an attack out of the sun-blind. I don't want a repeat of our spar with the Vagabond's crew." Enfri leaned forward to speak with Deebee. "Head northeast to give the port-side ballista a clear shot. We'll try to dive under Draxa's first charge. That should be easier than climbing with all this armor. Starboard ballista, be ready to fire on the Inamorata's stern once she passes over us."

Saveen broke away and headed towards the outskirts of the battle. Meanwhile, the crewmen acknowledged Enfri's orders, and Deebee banked wide on the new heading. The siege crews loaded the ballistae with massive spear-like bolts as thick as Enfri's arm. The bolts were specially made to shatter on impact, hopefully inflicting damage on the target dragon's wing membranes with shrapnel.

Almost as soon as Deebee leveled off from her turn, the port-side lookout blew a long and sharp blast on her whistle. Enfri could feel the entire crew tense. The archers aimed crossbows, and the ballistae began to whirr and clank as their clockworks primed for firing.

Enfri couldn't see past Deebee's wing. Draxa was coming at them from a blind spot. If not for Saveen's warning, Enfri and Deebee would've been taken by complete surprise.