CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Krayson gave serious consideration to pursuing dragon slaying as a career.

There were benefits. A dragon's body was a veritable treasure trove of powerful alchemical reagents. The bones could be forged like metal. Thunders alone knew what feats of spellcraft Krayson could achieve with one's lifeblood. If he was particularly lucky, the dragon could have their hoard tucked within a holding spell, and their death would release enough wealth to make a Nadian blush. All in all, the idea was becoming more tempting the longer he thought about it.

He stamped down the anger at finding Saveen missing. She'd frustrated him and his plans, but a violent response was taking his resentment too far. Krayson needed to think the situation through rationally.

He found himself on a poorly-lit, narrow walkway spanning between Arcrest and a lesser spire. It was passing midnight, and very few other pedestrians shared the walkway. Krayson couldn't make out the other side for the mist, and he'd gone far enough along its length that the side he began from was hidden as well. This path led away from Fellowton and towards Westrun, where the Sanguine Tower and the next step of his contract waited.

Saveen was gone. That by itself would have been cause for celebration. However, there was the small matter of the diabolic spell connecting them. Krayson didn't much like the idea that Saveen could draw from him whenever she chose. Inexperienced as she was, Saveen would probably get herself caught by the city guard or royal assassins inside of a day. When they stuck her with spears and arrows, she was liable to drain Krayson of every ounce of ether and health he had. Where would that leave him if he was in the middle of facing Garret, Elise, Vintus, one of the Merovech's disgruntled apprentices, or another of the six dozen people that seemed to want him dead?

She was alive, at least. The bond told him that much. As for where she was, the magic wasn't quite as helpful.

He had no malice for the girl. Troubling to admit, but he actually found her wide-eyed innocence a bit endearing. All that aside, Krayson would rather spit in the king's face than let himself be sucked dry because a silly twit of a dragon felt the need to be rebellious. There were already enough ways for him to be killed before he completed his contract. He didn't need another.

"Just once," he growled under his breath, "I would appreciate it if someone listened to me!"

The last part was shouted into the mist. A goodwife walking by startled and glared at him sidelong as she continued on her way.

Krayson clenched and unclenched his fists as he looked out over the railing of the walkway. He took a deep breath and let it out. His heart was beating a frantic pace. Panic was setting in. Everything about this situation was overwhelming. His time in the tower hadn't prepared him for a contract like this one.

No. Better to just let Saveen go her own way, and Krayson would go his. So long as he managed to break the bond between them, it would work out. Unlocking a spell placed by another arcanist was technically impossible, but there were loopholes. The bond being an elder magic complicated matters, but Krayson remained confident that he could remove it given time. He likely wouldn't even need Saveen at hand to do it.

I don't need her, Krayson thought. No, it's better this way. It'll be hard enough to find this Enfri girl on my own. A dragon tagging along would only make it that much harder.

Deliberately, Krayson formed a somatic with his left hand. The spell failed to complete. That rarely happened. His fingers shook, spoiling the somatic. He took another deep breath, clenched his fist until he heard his knuckles crack, then tried again.

Out of his holding spell, the clothes he had purchased from Algol appeared in his hand. Krayson held the bundle of blouses and skirts out over the railing.