Chapter 27

I stuffed the note in my pocket, making a run towards the staircase. I didn't even bother to lock the main door. Being robbed away would be so much better than having Rowan shoot a bullet through his head. I would just be robbed off my happiness instead; a burglar cleaning up the entire apartment seemed quite a trivial matter at the moment.

I was panting the minute I reached the underground parking, I searched the dim lot for the silver Rover but it wasn't visible. The security guard seemed to be snoring loudly, I poked him with my finger, "Did you see Rowan?"

He was a timid man, almost floating in his over-sized clothes like he'd rented some of a sumo wrestlers clothes. As soon as his eyes rose to mine, he stood up at once, "yes, he seemed in a hurry and asked me for the back gate access."

What the heck is going on?

"Thanks."

I left the building parking lot and made a beeline for the road, mentally calculating how much time I had between finding Rowan and kicking his butt into oblivion. If he was so persistent on dying then I'd rather do him a favour and kill him myself. I walked towards the busy road where I could find a cab. The street lights were the only life that remained on the streets, the roads were dead and the people had already drifted away in third world. A cab zoomed by who ignored my waving arm; a second one came to a halt right in front of me. I hopped in and told him to drive in the general direction Rowan would have driven in.

The cab driver turned to me, ninety- nine percent of his hair was white, and his gray eyes were a contrast "Is there a problem?"

"My boyfriend he.." I swallowed the bile that rose deep in my throat, "I'm not sure where he went."

"Men are complicated but if you do manage to figure out their source of the problem, you're good. Ask my wife; she'll tell you" He chuckled softly, "he'll come back if he loves you."

That was the killer question. Will Rowan make it back alive?

The large elm trees whipped with the force of the wind, swaying from one side to another---almost like dancing to a song, celebrating a victory for my loss. A slow old song drifted from the stereo.

"Take a right." My instinct told me that. "A little slow here."

The car cruised around slowly, my eyes travelling in every possible direction. I noticed a car parked further down the road, I squinted for a better vision. As the cab neared the clearing, the car became bigger and I noticed the glimmer of the silver Rover. "Stop near the car."

I scuffled in my pocket and found a crumbled note which I pushed into the cab driver's hands.

"No..No..No. keep it." he smiled at me warmly and instead reached to his dash board and handed a card into my shaky fingers, "It's not safe for a girl to be travelling alone at night. My daughter is the same age as you."

John Martin the card read, "Thank you, John."

"Call me anytime." I nodded as I hopped off the car.

I made a run towards the clearing like a bat out of hell and gasped as the bonnet of the car came into view. It didn't take me a second to recognize the familiar name plate. The metal had been heinously mangled into the breach of the tree. Pieces of glass covered the ground; my heart began thumping faster when I neared the side of the car. The car door had a large dent, I managed to jerk the door open and my head began spinning, overcoming with fear at the ghastly spectacle. The airbag had blown up from the dashboard, a coat of blood smeared across it and Rowan remained stranded between the catastrophe. The glass was missing from the windshield, the remaining half jagged like a spider web. Rowan's forehead rested on the wheel.