Chapter 42

Song- The Heart Wants What It Wants- Selena Gomez

****

Alana

"Have you heard of this band called Oblivion?" I asked Nina while we were seated in the university cafeteria.

    "Of course. Everyone knows about that band. They play in clubs and sometimes they even have outdoor gigs. Good music." Nina peeled the wrapper of her cheeseburger and took a bite.

   She was acting like she may have heard about them, but I knew Nina too well to know that she had probably stalked the shit outta that band and had magazine cut-outs of the boys stuck somewhere in her journal that consisted of every possible hot men that walked planet earth.

   "Do you know anyone called Troy from the band?"

   Her eyes lit up. "Yeah. He goes to our university."

   Double take on that one. "He what?"

   "Yeah, Troy goes here, and so does another one of their band members, Christopher. Thought you knew about that already. They travel a lot, and there are rumors that Troy was kicked out of his previous university because of "malicious" activity." She put malicious in quotes. "I thought you knew about that already."

    "How was I supposed to know?"

    "Duh. Because he is your ex-boyfriend's cousin."

     What the fuck?

    "What are you talking about?"

   "Troy Masters is Rowan's cousin. He moved to Carmel a few weeks back, I thought you knew about that since you and Dwight are like bffs. Wait, didn't he fill you in? You seem clueless." She poked the straw into the strawberry milk cartoon.

    "Dwight and I haven't talked in ages. We only text each other for Christmas' and Birthdays', I get a tons of invitations from him for his house parties but I don't attend those, so yeah, after my breakup with Rowan, things got pretty awkward."

    I was lying. Things had definitely gotten messier, but even after Dwight's repeated advances at "making things better", I'd chosen to keep myself away from that family. I didn't even remember the last time I'd seen Minnie, I'd spoken to her on the phone several times, but I'd avoided meeting them only because I was a coward. I knew I would brawl into tears at the sight of the little girl who I had dreamed would be mine someday.

I didn't want Dwight or anyone to console me and sugar coat what I already knew, that I could never be a part of that family.

     "I kissed Troy." There I said it.

     She spurted the milk out of her mouth like a spray which spilled on her t-shirt. "What the actual fuck? You kissed Troy Masters?"

    "Lower down your voice!" I said, took a deep breath and explained her what happened and why I hadn't returned to her forty texts and fifty phone calls.

     "Why are you looking at me like I'm some kind of a criminal?"

    "I think this would be a better sitcom than The Big Bang Theory. Maybe you should consider writing an auto-biography." She cracked as she wiped the spilled milk from the table.

   "In due time." I joked.

   "So who is a better kisser? The older one or the younger one?"

   "Definitely the older one. Hands down." I could feel the blush creep slowly towards my cheeks.

    "How could you only keep digging the Masters' boys?"