Chapter 38 I miss You, I want You

First Person~ Kate

I raised a hand to shield my eyes from the sun as I stepped outside into the hot Georgia morning. Shouting down in the field told me where to go. It wasn't fearful or angry so there was no need to rush.

"What?" Glenn's voice turned my eyes up to the guard tower where he was standing shirtless in the door as he did his belt up. Maggie appeared at his shoulder and I couldn't help but grin.

"You comin?' Come on, we could use a hand!" Daryl shouted. He was standing down at the gate with most of the others. I chuckled to myself, moving my hand from above my eyes to wave as Daryl's eyes dropped to see me on the ground below the tower, walking toward them. He dropped a nod.

"Yeah, we'll be right down!" Glenn yelled before he and Maggie went back inside the tower. I picked up the pace only to put the brakes on when T-dog pointed at something behind me that made everyone stop. I turned around to see Oscar and Curly-Q, who I hadn't seen since being stabbed, standing back in a courtyard. Rick headed towards them -and consequentially me- with Daryl, T-dog and Eric following him.

"Goldielocks," Daryl waved me over to him as I found myself stranded the two groups. I obeyed, drifting to his side without taking my eyes off the two other men.

"That's close enough." Rick ordered them to stop. "We had an agreement." My fingers subconsciously found their way to the little bumps my messy stitches made through my tight tank top.

"Please, mister. We know that, we made a deal." Curly-Q said as Glenn and Maggie, now fully dressed, emerged from the bottom of the tower behind the prisoners. "But you gotta understand! We can't live in that place another minute, you follow me? All the bodies... People we knew! Blood, brains everywhere! There's ghosts!" I could imagine living in their block wasn't exactly a mood booster.

"Why don't you move the bodies out?" Daryl suggested.

"You should be burning them." T-dog added.

"We tried! We did!" Axel insisted.

"The fence is down on the far side of the prison." The more respectable one elaborated. "Every time we drag a body out, those things just line up. So we end up droppin' the body and just runnin' back inside." Fence was down? Well we could add that to our long, long to-do list after we got our own area taken care of.

"Look! We had nothing to do with Thomas and Andrew, nothing! Miss, I'm real sorry about what happened." Curly-Q's eyes shifted from Rick to me where I stood stiffly. "I'm glad to see you're alright. You know we didn't have anything to do with that right? Andrew, Thomas, they were a different breed."

"Don't talk to her." Rick growled, bringing Axel's eyes back to him. Axel nodded as I crossed my arms, not sure how to react to the two. I settled with Rick's plan of simply not talking with them.

"Okay, okay. Sorry, but you trying to prove a point, man? Cause you proved it, bro! We'll do whatever it takes to be a part of your group just please, please, don't make us live in that place!" Curly-Q begged. I raised my brows, squinting. Where was his pride?

"Our deal is not negotiable. You either live in your cell block, or you leave." Rick said firmly, unwavering in tone though I could tell he was feeling sympathy somewhere in there.

"I told you this was a waste of time." Oscar muttered to Axel. "They ain't no different than the pricks who shot up our boys." He turned his eyes back to Rick accusingly. "You know how many friends' corpses we had to drag out this week? Just threw 'em out like... Those were good guys! Good guys who had our backs against the really bad dudes in the joint like Thomas and Andrew. Now, we've all made mistakes to get in here, chief, and I'm not gonna pretend to be a saint, but believe me... we paid our due." His voice was lower, less desperate than Axel's but I heard him louder. "Enough that we would rather hit that road, than to go back into that shithole." Rick turned around to look at Daryl and I. I bit my lip, not sure what to say but Daryl just shook his head.