Chapter 58- The End

Chapter 58 - The End

First Person~ Kate

"Elsie?" Rick asked as soon as he saw the three of us approaching. He, Daryl and Michonne were assembling in the courtyard to go.

"It was a clean shot. She'll be just fine in time. Resting right now." I informed them as I shrugged on my faded black jacket, feeling a smile shape my face as I said this. My relief over this was so strong it was tangible. I honestly don't know what I would have done if she'd died.

"You coming?" Rick asked, the look on his face making it clear he wasn't pressuring me to in anyway. "I get it if you want to stay back."

I shook my head. "No, no I want to come." Need would have been a more suitable word but I didn't want to come off as emotional or desperate. Then that offer to stay back might turn into an order. What had surprised me was that Glenn had accepted not going when I knew he had some issues he'd like to work out too. Maybe his tactic of letting all the anger out instead of bottling it up actually worked. But I had bottled it. And Elsie getting shot had shaken me back up and I was ready to burst under my cool exterior. Justin and the Governor were the first men I ever actually wanted to kill. I wanted to see their blood spill. And that scared me. Maybe I was becoming everything I'd just talked to Elsie about fighting. I promised myself then and there that once they were dead, once I'd received that satisfaction, I'd get myself turned around. I'd done it before, I could do it again. As soon as this was done.

Rick nodded, accepting my choice without comment. "Let's go then."

"Rick," Glenn stopped him before he got in the truck. "We're staying." He told him, limply gesturing to himself and Maggie with his gun. "We don't know where the Governor is. If he comes back, we'll hold him off." Glenn and Maggie looked a little shameful about not coming but they didn't need to feel like that. Rick and the rest of us understood and weren't about to penalize or judge them.

"Just the four of us?" Daryl clarified that Rick and Michonne did indeed still plan on coming. "Alright." He nodded and turned for his bike.

"I appreciate you staying." Rick told the couple before going to the truck. I dropped them a nod then followed Daryl. He was already sitting on his bike and I handed him my bow which he'd found a way to attach to the front along with his crossbow. My quiver need to stay up right so I kept that on, though it was small and didn't make a difference riding anyway.

"I'm glad she's alright." Daryl said as he fastened the weapons on. "One tough kid." He handed me the guns he had slung across his chest to wear instead. "You sure you're up for this?" He asked, looking up at me as I strapped the guns on and freed my messy ponytail from under them.

"Yeah." I nodded solemnly. "Now let's go kill that son of a bitch." If Daryl was concerned by my steely tone he didn't show it as I swung a leg over the bike and dropped down behind him. It revved to life and I wrapped my arms around his waist. With Daryl wearing angel wings and my anger feeding the devil, we went to play reaper.

*

I surveyed what was left of Woodbury's army as I slowly got up off Daryl's motorcycle. Men. Women. Teenagers, some barely older than Carl. All dead. How? Clearly someone had shot them all up but why? Had they run into another rogue group that had been of the unfriendly nature? I accepted the bow Daryl handed me as Michonne made quick work of a couple that had turned and were feasting. Rick stabbed another. With the immediate area clear I allowed my eyes to begin systematically begin scanning the faces. A thump at one of the trucks instantly wrenched my eyes to the window where Daryl was ducking away and a live woman with thick, dark hair had her hands pressed against the glass. I instantly had a notched arrow pointed at her as Rick strode over with his gun raised. Daryl opened the door for her and waved her out. She timidly spilled out of the army vehicle with her hands up in surrender. She stumbled forwards before coming to an abrupt halt in front of my bow. Her raised hands were shaking as she looked from the sharp arrow tip to my emotionless face.