Bonus #1 Adoption

Hello Readers! Here is the first of four bonus chapters! After the fourth (or chapter 20 here) will be where part 2 of this fic begins. It picks up where the main story left off (chapter 16) The Bonus chapters consist of events that were described and mentioned in the main story. "Adoption" Is when Rogue met the Jaegers for the first time.

Enjoy!

Year 835

Night had fallen over the landscape, coating it in a dark veil. The sky was partially cloudy above, making the mood a bit melancholy. Wooden wagon wheels reverberated through the trees along with the clatter of steady hooves. Her heart thundered in her ears as she gritted her teeth. Her mind was in a panic.

"Mrs. Jaeger? Are you sure you're doing okay?"

Hearing the concerned query, Carla snapped her head up to see the coachmen looking over his shoulder through the small window of the carriage. She forced a trifling and feeble smile, worry clearly displayed on the man's face - one that was chubby and could be considered jolly in appearance.

"Like I said." The woman breathed. "My husband is a doctor and he can take care of me. You just keep moving forward to Shiganshina. I'll tell you where to go when we get to town." Carla informed as she started to stabilize her injured ankle.

The coachman dithered in the slightest. "Oh, alright. You sure you don't want me to pull over and help with your injury?"

"I'm good." She quickly replied, trembling hands ripping off a strip of her ruffled dress. Like she had been instructed, Carla then began to wrap her ankle, making sure the knot was tight. Like Grisha had told her, it would serve as a temporary splint quite well.

"Er - alright. Just shout if you need anything Mrs. Jaeger."

Carla dipped her head in thanks as the man returned to steering the carriage. She was incredibly lucky that he had passed by her.

"So, you were chased by wolves?"

Hearing the coachman's sudden question, Carla looked away from her tending to see the chubby man awaiting an answer. "Yes. I was gathering some herbs and I guess I wandered into their den." She spoke, body trembling as her mind replayed the event.

The man nodded, absorbing every word she had said. "Well if that's the case, then you're pretty damn lucky to have survived. You must have an angel or something watching over you Mrs. Jaeger."

The woman only replied with a short nod. Her rescuer was certainly no angel. Carla bit her tongue, fretfully wiping a cut on her arm. 'Should I tell him what happened? Then again - something was different about it.' Conflicted, she turned her head to the window, watching the passing trees in hopes that nothing was following them. She was more confused than she had been in her whole life. She never expected she would get the news that she was infertile, come across a pack of wolves on a trek to clear her mind, and certainly never even fathomed that she would come face to face with one of the very monsters that the walls surrounding human civilization supposedly protected them from - horrible creatures that fed off the flesh of man.

Silently, Carla continued to ponder. 'It didn't act like I was told they would. It didn't eat me and made no attempt to do so. The looks of it - it was much different from what the books and the soldiers say. How? How did it get past the walls? If a breech were the cause then we would already know. Where could it have come from?'

A slight bump in the road caused Carla to jump, grip her ankle, and steer her mind in a new direction. 'I won't tell him. I'll just make him panic. I'll tell Grisha first and see what his opinion is.'