Part 2: Chapter 26: Tiny but Tenacious

Author's Note: Hello guys! First off, I apologize for the months of delay. It's been busy! Been through two jobs and I'm now working as a graphic designer for a sign company. I've adopted two snakes in the process and nowadays I don't have as much time as I used to. But don't worry. I'm not quitting this fic ever, it will just take longer to produce new chapters. I will be setting up a new discord server for this fic for update news, questions, etc. When that's done I'll post the invite on my tumblr.

If there are any errors here, PM me the mistake and I will correct it. Editing these chapters as long as they are - is a difficult thing!

Summary: As a yearling, Atlas begins to learn the ways of the pack through hard lessons. Titus comes to an alarming discovery.

Chapter 26

Tiny But Tenacious

Gradually, the great beast felt his body become restless, a slight chill biting the tip of his nose. Feeling the energy return to his frame, Titus inhaled, taking a deep breath before exhaling with his chest rising and falling vastly. The titan then lifted his head, jaws expanding wide as he yawned. Routinely, the creature shook his head like a horse swatting away flies, snorting once before peeling open his darkened lids to look about his den. The spacious burrow was bathed in a pale but seemingly bright light. The small opening in the roof of the den revealed a nearly white cloudy sky and beneath the opening upon the rocky floor was a decent sampling of snow.

Titus grinned at the fact. Winter had finally come to the forest and the first snow had fallen. And, as always with the arrival of snow, there was the strange beauty that came with it. Titus found the world when it was blanketed in white to be alluring. Animals behaved differently, trees shed their leaves while pines flourished, and the water froze over as if it stilled in time. Titus hummed. Winter was certainly one of his favorite seasons. Not only was it beautiful, but the usually cloudy skies lessened the activities of the Mindless and allowed the Hunters to relax and be a bit more leisurely.

At the presence of snow, Titus beamed broadly and turned his attention to the small weight pressed against his stomach. The titan huffed in amusement as he spied little Atlas. The tiny behemoth was curled in the smallest ball that his form could possibly make against his abdomen. Almost comically, Atlas's head was lifted and his bright green eyes were locked onto the patch of snow afore them – completely unblinking and reminding the titan of an owl. The small titan's expression was what he could call apprehensive and stunned as he simply sat and looked on – making small questioning squeaks to himself every few seconds. In the past months, raising Atlas was certainly a learning experience. The minuscule Hunter was starting to get a pretty good grip as to what things were around him. Although he was greatly behind the other pups, the titan knew things well. He had taken the liberty of teaching Atlas the concepts of yes and no as well as the pack's ways of greeting one another, expressing apologies, and even how to express affection. Admittedly, it was countless aggravating weeks of educating Atlas on the simple aspects but his efforts were rewarding. If it was one thing that he discovered during the process it was that Atlas loved to express his affection for both he and Jade – a lot. Hunter's displayed their love by licking certain areas on one's body which was usually the neck or jaw and sometimes the shoulder. Atlas of course did this to a more extreme extent, the little beast usually licking whatever part he could reach for an extended period of time while cooing and squeaking. And such actions were always followed with the little titan trying to cuddle against them. As much as he appreciated Atlas's way of expressing his affection and appreciation, a part of him didn't want the characteristic to carry into adulthood as much for it might not been seen well by the other pack members. In the time that had passed, the other titans grew aware to the fact that Atlas was in his care. From what he could tell, most were either puzzled or were not fond of the idea – especially Atlas's true parents who would emit low growls every time they would walk past. However, there were a few that saw Azeroron's ruling as a good decision and completely logical. It pleased him that he did have some support in the complicated matter and he even received questions as to how the little titan was doing which he promptly answered positively.