It's Not Relevant

This Chapter mostly written by me and @blobbish

She did all the sarcastic parts.

“Would you shut up, please?”

            “But I love it so-“

            “So much, yeah, I got that. It’s not that big of a deal,” I stated to one of my best friends, Fay, then turned to her quizzically. “What even is ‘marking’?” I said while using air quotes to emphasize my point, which she never seems to grasp. Fay sighed. Apparently she had explained this to me before. Excuse me if I wasn’t interested in werewolf terminology. I soon regretted my question as she jumped into an entire speech about the werewolf mating process and yada, yada, yada. This will not help me on my science test today, so it is not relevant.

            “-but there is multiple steps to the…Liddy! Are you even listening to me?” she snaps.

            “Mh hm…” I mumble. Fay slumps, defeated, and puts an elbow on my shoulder. I just roll my eyes and continue walking, since many a time this girl has been too lazy to carry her own arm weight around. We walk to our next class, math, where Dallas is sitting down. We watch as she turns from the schools number one bad boy, Duke, and giggles. Fay and I roll our eyes and sit at the other side of the room, but are soon joined.

            “You’re going to end up getting killed by that boy, Dal,” I state, matter-of-factly. Dallas just rolls her eyes and sits down next to me. The teacher soon takes her place at the front of the room and explains things that go in one ear and out the other. I tap the end of my pencil against the desk, until Dallas gets annoyed and throws it across the room. I look at her with wide eyes and my hands in the air, but she acts as if nothing happened. These girls, I swear.

            All the rest of our classes seem to drag by, but the day does eventually end. Since today is Friday, Fay, Dallas, Fay’s twin and I all meet at the nearby clearing. We like to hang out there because nobody even remembers it’s there, and as long as I bring my dad’s weed whacker every so often without him noticing, the grass is as good as a blanket. So after the seventh bell rings, I start on my journey out the back gates of the school, around some houses and viola, there’s the woods. I pull a hair band off my wrist and tug my pumpkin colored hair into a loose bun. I have experienced firsthand what it is like to get stickers stuck in your hair. I will not be doing that again. Each of us has our own path to get to our hangout space, mostly because we each have different things we need to grab. I take three steps into the woods, turn right, and reach up. There is a plastic bag is our journal with pencils. This journal has everything, ranging from bored doodles, to novel ideas, to skits we like to perform for ourselves. I trudge through ten more yards of wooded area, and then I’m at the clearing. Only Dallas was sitting there, five water bottles in hand. It was always her job to grab the drinks, since her house was sitting somewhat in these thickets. Suddenly I heard laughing. I cocked my head to the side, and sure enough, it was Fay and Luna, her twin sister.

            Fay and Luna looked nothing alike, but had a million and three similarities. Fay had long blonde hair that reached to just above her last rib, and Luna had a similar length, but her hair was dark and more tamable than Fay’s, and had a dark blue streak framing her face that she got for her ninth birthday. Luna is an inch taller than Fay at 5’7, and had light blue eyes, greatly contrasting her dark hair and tanned skin. Fay, on the other hand, had dark brown eyes that could be mistaken for black and extremely fair skin. They often joked that their eyes were “switched at birth.” Fay was often at home, quietly reading, and was known for her weak stomach (which we had all witnessed at the fair last year). Luna was the exact opposite. Although she did enjoy reading, her main concern was how she was going to do her next task without dying, but still coming very close. Luna was a professional stunt double, and had already had six jobs and was quickly being requested for more. She lived and craved adventure, and, by her standards, near death experiences were the only way to get that adrenaline rush. Most would say that those were the main differences between the two. Dallas and I, however, beg to differ.  Their absolute most prominent difference was that Fay was absolutely and completely absorbed in werewolves, while Luna, ironically, was more of a vampire girl.  It was basically our own little “Team Edward” “Team Jacob” war.  As the two girls approached, this difference was obvious.  Fay had on a loose t-shirt with a wolf silhouette on a moon, while Luna’s was a fairly tight fitting tank top that said “Bite me.” Two of my best friends, despite how freaking wierd they are. 

            “Sup, Ginger?” Luna said in her dorky way, which somehow made it cool. I was used to the nick names.  Ginger, Liddy, Lid, Wingardium LIDDIosa, stuff like that.

            “Not much, what’s with the hair?” I asked.  It was a bit mussed up…and by a bit I meant it looked like a tornado had flown through it.

            “I had a high-speed chase scene today.  It was by far one of the coolest things I’ve ever done.” She sighed and sat down, grabbing a water bottle from Dallas.

            “Yeah, well maybe you should hightail it to the salon,” I teased, tapping Dallas on one shoulder and stealing a water bottle from the other side while she wasn’t looking.  “Hey Fay, where’s the slave?” I question.  She rolls her eyes.

            “Henry will be here shortly,” she tells me.

            “That’s what I said,” I defend myself.

            “You said slave.”

            “Yeah.  Henry.”

            She rolls her eyes once more.  “Y’know, if you keep doing that, your face will get stuck that way,” I scold her.

            “No matter what she does to her face, it’ll always be cute,” Henry states as he walks up.  He wraps his arm around Fay’s shoulder.

            “That was smooth, shortie,” I praise him.

            “You’re only an inch taller than me,” he reminds me.

            “That’s still a shortie in my eyes,” I retort.  He rolls his eyes.  Seriously, why do people always do that? I watch as Henry sits down behind Fay and pulls her into his lap, kissing her on the head. I stick a finger in my mouth and pretend to gag myself, and Dallas giggles. She stops abruptly when we all hear something off in the distance. It sounded like someone was screaming “EIGHT” really drawn out. I arch an eyebrow and look around. Dallas shrugs and Luna covers her ears, because someone yelling eight a mile away is louder than a roaring engine during a chase scene. I look to Fay and Henry, and he just looks confused. Fay, however, looks like she just won the lottery.

            “Fay…what is it? …stop grinning like that, you’re creeping me out,” I stated as she looked at me, her smile never faltering.

            “Did you hear what he yelled?!” she shrieked. I looked to Luna for clarification, and she just looked at her sister, her eyebrows drawn. Her eyes suddenly got wide, and her mouth dropped open. I darted my head back and forth between the two of them, expecting to get an answer.

            “NO, we did not hear what he yelled!” I yelled, giving up on my waiting game. Luna turned to me, and a grin spread across her face as well.

            “We think that person was yelling m-“ she started. 

            “Mate!” a voice said behind me. Fay’s jaw dropped, but she was somehow still smiling. Mate…gosh, where had I heard that word before?