Chapter 10

"Wh-what do you mean my parents aren't dead? Did- did they abandon me?" I asked, desperate to know what happened. But then again...., "No wait, don't tell me. Of course they didn't want me. Why would they? I think I'm just gonna go back up to the guest room, okay?"

"No, Harry, wait!" Draco called after me, but I wasn't listening.

"Your parents didn't abandon you, Harry," Narcissa said quietly, causing me to stop abruptly.

"They-they didn't?"

"No, Harry, but they're not who you think they are either."

"What do you mean?"

"Lilly and James Potter were not your real parents, but they were really close to your real parents," she looked at me sympathetically before saying, "If you would please sit down, we will explain everything to the best if our abilities, though there are still some things we do not know."

It was still for a moment, but my burning desire to know everything about myself and my family had me walking back to the couch where Draco sat and sitting back down. I looked towards Narcissa expectantly, wanting her to continue.

"In order for me to explain who your parents are, I must go back to the very beginning.

" It was March 27, 1960, and the Potters were about to have twins. The pregnancy had been hard for Mrs. Potter given how small she was, and Mr. Potter could tell she would not survive long after giving birth. She only lived long enough to name one of the children, James Potter. After she died, Mr. Potter was far too deep in his grief and was unable to name the other child. For years, Mr. Potter remained grieving, and for years, the child remained unnamed.

"The Potters' house elves raised the children for the most part, and though they wished to give the child a name, they were unable to as it is against wizarding tradition for anyone other than the child's parents to name a child as long as the parents are still alive and known.

" But one day, on the children's 5th birthday to be exact, Mr. Potter snapped out of it. It is unknown what causes this sudden change, but it was not unwelcome. Directly after snapping out of his grief, Mr. Potter searched the entire house for his children. He found James first. He was just learning to ride his toy broom, and Mr. Potter ten over and hugged him, crying over how much time he had missed with him.