Chapter Eleven

~Bonnie’s P.O.V~

 I had woken up to the sound of waves crashing against each other. I didn’t remember where I was and it was dark. I felt around to try and discover where I was. I felt a rough surface and a few crystals.

 I had soon remembered that I was in the dark cave on the beach. All that had happened earlier came back to me except one question remained in my head. Where was Louis? I looked all around me and he wasn’t beside me. Instead, there was a note.

I read, “Bonnie, you have been sleeping for more than an hour! I can’t stay any longer the bells have just rang. I love you x”

I smiled and put it in my pocket. As soon as I walked out of the cave and into the sunlight I was blinded. It took my eyes a while to get use to the sudden change of lighting. I checked my phone to see what time it was and Louis was right. It had been three hours since I had come to the beach.

 I drove quickly off of the beach and soon was in the town. I decided to go to an ice-cream stall and get some bubblegum flavoured ice-cream. The shops were full and the whole town seemed to be black with people. I hadn’t gone to one of the ice-cream stalls in town for maybe a year and I wondered why. It was my favourite place to go as a child. My car reached the car park on the beach and I parked it precisely. I got out of my car and walked towards the crowd of people. Everyone seemed to be buzzing; there were people laughing and smiling, chatting amongst themselves and occasionally I would see two people flirting. I pushed my way past the group of kids who weren’t buying anything. I got into queue and waited for the person in front of me to be done. The man who was serving me had dark blond hair and fierce, brown eyes. I looked down onto the flavour chart. There were a couple of new flavours, but the bubblegum would always be my favourite.

“Hi, could I get a small tub of bubble-gum ice-cream, please?”

The man smiled and scooped up some ice-cream.

I paid him and left quite quickly, not wanting anyone to see my gloomy face. As I turned around I got a great shock to see Niall sitting on the seat in front of me.

~Niall’s P.O.V~

 “Niall, what are you doing?” Maya asked, laughing.

I looked up from the bowl of ice-cream and shrugged my shoulders. “What do you mean? I was just eating my ice-cream...” I mumbled.

I was eating my cookie flavoured ice-cream by scooping it up with my tongue.

“You have it all over your face! Why don’t you use a spoon?” Maya chuckled.

She took a napkin that she had been keeping from her pocket and wiped my face.

“All better now!” She happily said.

I was about to reply until I saw Bonnie. I looked at her and she smiled in response.

“Bonnie, I didn’t expect to see you here today.” I said.

She smiled and replied, “I was out with Lou – I was on the beach and decided to get some ice-cream. What are you doing here?”

I gestured to Maya.

“I’m on a date with Maya.” I explained while smiling.

“You and Maya are dating?” Bonnie asked happily.

Maya put her arm through mine and smiled warmly up at me. She looked at Bonnie with a facial expression that didn’t look nice at all.

“Yes, Niall and I are on a date. Why do you care?”

Bonnie cocked one eyebrow up and glared at Maya.

“I was just wondering because I didn’t know.” Bonnie explained solemnly.

Why was Maya staring Bonnie like that? I didn’t know what to say although I needed to say something.

“Okay, whatever you say.” Maya fiercely turned around and her hair slightly brushed off Bonnie’s face.

She walked off and went and sat down at a table. She looked up at our shocked faces and rolled her eyes. Maya got her phone out of her handbag and started to text somebody.

I looked at Bonnie, not knowing what to say.

“I – I’m really sorry about Maya. I don’t know what got into her.” I apologised.

She looked at me with soft, blue eyes. Bonnie was irresistible and I could feel myself leaning into her. I could not kiss her. I liked Maya, and Bonnie’s boyfriend had just died three days ago. What had gotten into me?

 I stopped myself from going any closer to her but I knew that she noticed.

“Uh, Niall?” Bonnie said with a look of confusion on her face.

I frowned at myself in disappointment. Why had I been so stupid and let my feelings show? I had tried to hide these feelings since I had met Bonnie. I knew about her boyfriend dying and she seemed to be in love with him. I knew I didn’t like her as much as Maya but she was so beautiful in the sunlight and I couldn’t help myself.

“Oh… I’m really sorry. I don’t know why I thought that would be okay… sorry.”

Bonnie looked at me with understanding eyes. She smiled innocently. “It’s fine, Niall.”

The silence between us was beginning to get even more awkward. She must’ve sensed it because she began to gather her things together.

“I’m gonna leave, now. I told my mum that I’d be home soon. See you.”

I gazed off after her as she walked quickly towards the beach where her car was parked.

 I slipped off of the seat and strolled over to where Maya was seated. She looked up at me and half-smiled. I sat next to her and placed my hand over hers.

“What’s wrong?”

She played with the spoon as if she didn’t care about answering me.

“Maya?”

“Nothing is wrong. If I told you you’d just laugh at me.”

I shook my head in disbelief. Did she actually think that I would ever judge her?

“Tell me… please.”

She sighed and looked at me innocently, “Bonnie is… she’s really pretty… and I guess that when she started talking to you and was smiling I guess I got just a bit jealous.”

“C’mon! You’ve got to be joking. I like you and only you. Believe me.”

I smiled at her and looked deep into her dark eyes. I leaned close and felt my body grow numb as her lips pressed gently against my own.