4 | preparations

J A M E S

J A M E S

James fastened the last button of his plain white shirt as he checked his reflection in the rectangular mirror of the toilet. He gently applied some gel to his mass of mussed chestnut brown hair — not too much so that it was fully slicked back, just enough to tame it down a little.

"Whoa, James Potter discovered hair gel?! What has the world come to?" Sirius Black's voice sounded from the door of the toilet.

He leaned against the doorframe with a bottle of beer in one hand, looking at James with amused grey eyes and a smirk playing on his lips.

"What do you think, Padfoot, should I keep my glasses on or not?"

Sirius raised an eyebrow at him before letting out a snicker and lifting the bottle to his lips. "I think you shouldn't fret so much over all this. It's not even a date, and we don't know yet if the chick's worth it or not."

"I know, but there's just something about her that..." James laughed softly, shaking his head. "Dunno, can't explain it."

He decided to keep his glasses on and after throwing one last glance at the mirror, he walked out of the restroom, switching off the light.

"I don't think you're the most suited to give relationship advice, Sirius," came Remus' voice from the living room, where he sat on the couch mindlessly browsing through channels on James' TV.

"Hey, I get around!" Sirius defended in mock hurt.

"Sure you do, just not in a romantic sense."

"I'll have you know, there's not a single girl or guy I haven't bought dinner or at least a drink before taking them home."

Remus scoffed. "That's not the same thing as a real date. Also one night stands don't count as relationship experience."

"Relationships are too much commitment," countered Sirius with a dramatic groan.

He took another sip of beer and plopped down on the couch next to Remus.

"Anyway." Remus turned to James again, who was fixing the cuffs of his button down shirt. "Lily's a nice girl. She's sweet and humble, though she does have a bit of an attitude. Try not to act like a pompous clown, Prongs. Be glad she even gave you a chance in the first place."

"Gee, thanks, Remy," James said. "By the way, did you remind Marlene to save us the table with the best sea view like I told you?"

Remus nodded, but said nothing. It was as if the mere mention of her instantly turned his mood upside down. James exchanged a worried look with Sirius. It wouldn't be the first time.