7 | the vivacious girl

L I L Y

L I L Y

Lily's fingers were restlessly fiddling with her ribbony bracelet as she tried to focus on the book resting open on her lap. The chirping of crickets that filled the air had never sounded louder and more disturbing before, and after several unsuccessful attempts to concentrate on the story, she slammed the book shut.

She removed her reading glasses, breathing out a sigh. Ira should be here any minute, she thought.

"You look nervous."

Lily looked up. Remus stood by the entrance of the hotel, hair matted, dressed in that crisp black suit that was a little too big for him, his elbow resting against the luggage trolley.

"My friend's coming today," she explained.

She straightened her back, grabbed her flowery bag that was dangling from her chair and put her novel and glasses inside. How long she'd been waiting outside the building for Irene to arrive, Lily couldn't tell. It must've been an hour by now.

"Irene Jones, that's her name, right?" Remus asked. "I checked with the receptionist."

Lily nodded. "The last time we talked was last night, before I went out for dinner."

Her ears started burning as the events of the previous evening slowly resurfaced in her brain. Those glasses of wine she drank had their effect on her alright. There were moments from the previous night she recalled hazily, and actions she knew she normally wouldn't have taken, hadn't she been so energized by the intake of alcohol.

Oh god, Lily thought, picking at her bracelet again, I have made quite a fool out of myself.

"Well," Remus' voice pulled her from her recollections. "I am sure your friend will be here any minute."

"Huh? Oh, yeah, I know."

Lily's eyes glanced around the majestic garden of the resort, lingering nervously on the bronze-colored gate, but her mind had already travelled elsewhere.

"So, how was dinner last night?" Remus asked, his tone suggestive. "James sounded pretty chuffed about it, said he had a wonderful time. Would you agree?"

Lily heard the smirk in his voice and pursed her lips, not daring to look up at him. The tips of her ears grew hot again.

"Well, it could've gone worse," she said with a scoff, trying to play it cool. "Thanks to your girlfriend I had a good laugh a couple of times. She's lovely, Marlene."